Suitable Replacement For Sauterne?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohp202

Junior
Reaction score
First post to the forum. I'm really a novice at wine making. I plan to progress to making something better but right now I'm sticking with Welch's until I get a little experience. Have made a few batches of wine from Welch's Concord Concentrate, one from White Grape/Peachand now I'm going to make Welch's White Grape/Raspberry. The recipe calls for Sauterne yeast. I don't have any of that. What I have is all Red Star......Champagne, Pasteur Red, Cote de Blanc and Curvee. Which of these would you use? Thanks.

Welcome to the forum. Let's see here...... out of the ones you listed I would choose Cote des Blanc to preserve the light fruity flavors of the white grape and raspberry. Let's see what others feel.

I agree with Appleman Cote des Blancs works well in friut wines.

Good luck. Maybe you should look at some wine kits next.

Thank you for the replies. Yes, I plan to get a kit sometime soon but I thought I'd get a little cheap experience before I ventured into something with more expensive involved. I won't feel to bad if I screw up a couple of cans of grape juice.

Well guys, I pitched the Cote des Blanc yesterday. Things seem to be "working" perfectly. Thanks again.

I would have also said that followed by the Pastuer Red.I use these predominantly on my fruit wines.

Back