Other Suggestions on Early Drinking Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve_M

All things wine!
Reaction score
Our first go at winemaking is proceeding smoothly (I hope). We have 5 gal. of Montepulciano and 10 gal. of Cabernet all made with fresh juice.
I anticipate the finished product to come out pretty good, my plan is to leave it for at least 9 months in carboy if not longer.
What I would like is to find a kit wine Cab, Malbec, Shiraz? that is drinkable in say 6 months time. I know that aging is preferable, but yeah patience is tough. :h
What are some of your favorites?

Thanks,

Steve

You can get a Cab and a Shiraz from RJ Spagnols lower end (9L, ~$75.00 us) Vino del Vido and World Tour kit offerings.

Most of my wine making has been with RJS kits and most of them VdV or WT offerings and I've been pleased with all of them. These are "4-week" kits where they recommend that you bottle age 2-3 months. So its 3-4 months and you're drinking a decent tasting wine. BTW, I 2 mo. bulk age and 2 mo. bottle age these kits so I'm drinking the wine at the end of 5 months from the start.

In 6 months, most kits will be 'good' - even the high end kits. I'd recommend a Cellar Craft Showcase or RJS Winery Series. You'll get 30 bottles from these. Put a case or a case and a half on your wine rack at 6 months and box up the rest for another 6-12 months. As I said, they'll be 'good' at 6. By the time you get to that last case, they'll be excellent. Just keep doing this for a year or two (bottling at 5 months or so), and you'll build up a healthy supply. I've been doing it for two years now and am at the point where most of my wines don't get bottled until 9 months or so and don't really get touched at all until 12 months. I still stash a case of each away. The trick with this hobby is volume early on. Once you've done a batch or two and think you'll be pleased with the results, crank up production. :D

For an early drinking red, I have made the WE Luna Rossa kit twice. It is not a skins kit, but if you're looking to drink it soon (and possibly quickly?), you might not begin to notice the difference a skins kit would make, anyway. It will also be less expensive...at least than other WE skins kits. It's almost like an Amarone, IMO.

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

In many cases, the lower the total dissolved solids (TDS) in the kit wine, the earlier it can be ready to drink. All the TDS "stuff" in the wine has to get integrated, so the less "stuff", the faster the integration.

Lower end red kits, and those which don't have a grape pack typically have lower TDS.

This is a generalization only.

Winexpert world vineyards cab sauv Aus w skins and shiraz zin. I pitched the yeast 6 or 7 months ago. Did the 5-20-40-90 Tim Vandergrift schedule. Open a bottle of each last week. I liked them. My wife loved them.

The guy at the LHBS swears by the Winexpert Selection International Australian Petit Verdot. He says it is good at 9 months. I hit the 10 month mark and will bottle within the next week. I'll let you know.

Thanks everyone for their input, will pick one this week and get started!

Steve

The guy at the LHBS swears by the Winexpert Selection International Australian Petit Verdot. He says it is good at 9 months. I hit the 10 month mark and will bottle within the next week. I'll let you know.

Mine just hit the one year mark. It was bottled at 10 months. My notes at that point were favorable. It's time I pop one open to see where it's at.

Yes the WE international Petit Verdot drinks well early. IMHO it doesn't seem to improve much with extra age. That's not to say its not good because it is. Just doesn't seem to benefit from extra aging.

Yes the WE international Petit Verdot drinks well early. IMHO it doesn't seem to improve much with extra age. That's not to say its not good because it is. Just doesn't seem to benefit from extra aging.

All the previous WE SI kits I've made (brunello, malbec/shiraz, tempranillo, and amarone) weren't what I'd consider "all that great" until around 18 months or so, this is the point where they really started to shine. Unfortunately by that point I had blown through more than half of each batch trying them at various stages. Based on that experience I no longer open them prior to at least a year of aging, and even then, only very occasionally to see how they're coming along. I have both the Petit Verdot and the Malbec bottled, The PV just hit the one year mark, the Malbec has another month to go. Once all five have hit the 18+ month point, I'll get some friends together and do a five bottle tasting, I'll report back with the notes and ratings on all five.

That seems so weird to me, just because I associate Petit Verdot with massive tannins. I realize that a LOT of other factors will come into play, but I always assumed a single-varietal PV would take a lot of time to mature. I think this one has to go onto my "to-do" list!

Tony, would you mind providing a bit of info on your PV? When did you start your kit, was it by the book, or extended process, bulk aged or bottle aged?

I will look up my notes tonight and report back. Re-reading this thread got me to thinking that my opinion concerning the Petit Verdot might be overstated so I did a search and reread my past posts on other threads concerning PV that I have done. My comments going back a few years seem to be fairly consistent. But I will review my vinting notes and drinking notes later tonight.

Tony, would you mind providing a bit of info on your PV? When did you start your kit, was it by the book, or extended process, bulk aged or bottle aged?

Sorry Brian, that it took me so long to reply. I typed a 300 word response last night and my tablet froze when I tried to post it. So here goes again.

I have done three Wine Expert Petit Verdot kits and have the Cellar Craft Limited on pre-order.

First was the 2010 WE LE. This kit comes with 60 gr of toasted oak and 60 gr of french oak. The only tweak was two American Medium oak spirals for a few weeks after clearing. This kit only received six weeks of extended aging. We loved it at seven months in bottle, so about nine months total. Early on we knew we liked it so much I checked with my not so LHBS and snagged a second one. This kit was one of the first kits I made and was consumed between months 9 and 14.

Second was the same kit just several months older from harvest and packaging. I tweaked this with a pound of organic raisins. And added the two American spirals as before after it spent a few weeks in a new Hungarian oak barrel. At bottling I added 2 ounces of glycerin to help smooth out the new barrel (with longer aging I now employ, the oak will fall back by itself). We began drinking this wine at about nine months in bottle, fifteen months total. Knowing what I know now that this juice was particularly good and perhaps a real score for Wine Expert I didn't need the pound of raisins. That did kick up the alcohol but did not make this kit any better than the first. We loved this kit and hoped that it would return in the WE regular lineup.

I was super stoked about the third PV kit. WE came out with an Australian Petit Verdot with grape pack kit and I jumped on it. No raisins were necessary as it came with a grape pack whoop whoop. It came with the same 60 gr of oak and I added 30 gr American untoasted oak dust. I tweaked it some French chips in secondary and used the 30 gr of American cubes that was provided during clearing. I guess they got the message that this Ausie PV could handle more oak. It spent time in the mostly neutral Hungarian barrel then aged in carboy with French and American spirals. What was I thinking . . . liquid plywood? At this point it was a bit oakie but rather thin and uninteresting. I added 1/2 tsp of tannin and 4 ounces of glycerin. It bulk aged four months prior to bottling. I bottled four gallons as is and blended the rest with a Mosti Meglioli Australian Cabernet Shiraz making what I called a Down Under Meritage. The straight PV was okay but not at all what I hoped for. Even a Wine Expert insider agreed that the earlier Limited Edition juice was superior to the juice that followed in the International series. The straight PV was wonderful while in the carboy and at bottling but suffered considerable bottle shock and after several months in bottle improved BUT never reached it's earlier impression nor my expectations. By eight months in bottle 13 months total we began drinking it and finished it off at two years. At two years it was still just okay.

The Down Under Meritage was another story all together. It was fantastic. At bottling I realized this was special so I held on to it a bit longer and even forfeited a bottle for a competition - it took a silver and the Mosti Meglioli took a bronze on its own. The Down Under Meritage did in fact continue to get better and better with age. The take away for me with the blend was that the French Bordeaux blend is hard to beat whatever country the grapes are grown and the Mosti Meglioli juice takes a long time to mature but eventually produces superior wines IF YOU HAVE THE PATIENCE TO WAIT.

Hummm, I wonder what I should do with the CC PV I have pre-ordered.

Tony, thanks for taking the time to check into your notes and posting the details.
It's unfortunate that the SI doesn't compare with the LE, especially since no one I know has a time machine. I was hoping that my SI would get better than it is at this point (12 months) and start to get better around 18 or so, like the other SI kits I've made, but according to your notes, that's not likely to happen.

I also pre ordered the Passport PV. Hopefully it will be as good as your 2010 LE.

I actually opened the very last split of the first PV LE. Its now over five years old. Its very very good. Not oxidized at all. Color is still good. The oak had completely mellowed away as have most tannins. It was better than I expected, it held up excellently. I feel it peaked years ago and held a long time.

I find with most kit wines that after about the 3 year mark there is no improvement and they start to lose flavor.( in fact I find they all start tasting the same)I agree with bkisel on RJS's Vino del Vida for early drinkers. The cellar classics I like to leave for a year or more

I also got the Australian PV kit, my first try making a PV after my first taste of a wonderful PV at a Missouri winery. I did find it lacking something. On the other hand, for a quick drinker I did like the Lodi Old Vine Zinfandel kit.

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

I know that my opinion is unpopular around here. But I really enjoyed the Costco kits. I had a kid that was a Malbec cab kit. The price for the two was $45 Canadian. Very affordable and not really any different than any of the other low and kits you would pick up and a fairly early drinker. Within three months it was pretty good. But I have never been a fancy wine drinker myself.

Last edited:
Back