Suggestions for next project?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ckassotis

Reaction score
This could be in the wrong place, so if you want to move it, feel free! Actually posted this in the wrong forum entirely to begin with, as I keep a few tabs open, but at any rate, here goes!

So, I currently have a MM Petite Syrah going, a blackberry port, blackberry wine (attempt), and now a Burgundy.

My question is this - are there any excellent whites that people recommend? My first wine was a Riesling from Alexanders that I sweetened up and I think turned out pretty well. Still waiting on results from MVWS to see if they felt it was worthwhile at all, but got all positive comments.

So I considered another Riesling, perhaps playing with the sweetness more than last time, but almost want to expand a bit. Not a white fan overall, mostly dry reds at this point. I don't mind chardonnays for the most part, but haven't found a whole lot of whites that I enjoy.

So - any thoughts/suggestions would be great!

My plan for the summer is to try out a variety of fruit wines, perhaps try another port as well. Then perhaps try to grab some fresh grapes this fall and see what I can do with that.

Any other super-great kits/musts/etc (red or otherwise) that people tend to agree are worth trying at least once? Been reading the nice thread on the Impressions kits, which look pretty tasty. Perhaps too soon to have comments on them though?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Burgundian wines come in white and red. Which one did you do? I am assuming a white.

Have no idea what MVWS is.

If you are not a white fan, make a nice red, although I haven't any idea what kind(s) of reds you prefer. I figure you do like Petite Syrah, which is one of my favorites.

You might consider a summer wine kit. They have fruit flavors; they are sweet and low ABV. They are ready to drink right after they clear. Great for summer parties.

MM, CC and W.E. sell them. The MM are not as sweet as the others and are a little higher in ABV.

Ah yes, my mistake. Definitely a red. Should be pinot noir, if I remember my Burgundy trivia correctly?

So I have 2 reds and 2 blackberries going. That's why I was in the market for a white. Though some excellent additional reds couldn't hurt! ;)

MVWS is the Missouri wine competition, submitted 2 wines this year to get some knowledge about how to improve. Hope to get some good feedback!

As for reds, I love the PS and Syrah, also enjoy cabs/zins/merlots. Okay with most reds, to be honest.

Have looked at the summer wine kits, but like the idea of sticking as close to a grape as I can. I'll check out those brands though - thanks for the input!!

Ah yes, my mistake. Definitely a red. Should be pinot noir, if I remember my Burgundy trivia correctly?

So I have 2 reds and 2 blackberries going. That's why I was in the market for a white. Though some excellent additional reds couldn't hurt! ;)

MVWS is the Missouri wine competition, submitted 2 wines this year to get some knowledge about how to improve. Hope to get some good feedback!

As for reds, I love the PS and Syrah, also enjoy cabs/zins/merlots. Okay with most reds, to be honest.

Have looked at the summer wine kits, but like the idea of sticking as close to a grape as I can. I'll check out those brands though - thanks for the input!!

Yep, Burgundy is Pinot Noir and Chardonnay. In a couple of small areas, with very, very special permission, they can grow small amounts of two other uncommon grape varietals, just don't remember at the moment what they are. The laws regulating wine in the Burgundy area are amazing.

To make a red, you are going to have to be willing to wait for them to age, so patience will be the order of the day.

This month's Wine Maker Magazine has a good article on getting your wines ready for competitions. Good reading.

Yes indeed! I have a book to read on the subject, should life ever quiet down enough to actually read it. Have a lengthy list now, waiting for just that. Perhaps summer, when classes end again and I am only in the lab.

Ah yes, the one curse of making a red. Haha. That's part of the reason I think a white might be in order. Of course, quite a few whites take some aging as well. Might be a good reason to do another Riesling, as that was quite good after ~4 months or so. Can't do too much on the sweet side anymore though. Tastes have really moved to the dry side of things.

Thanks for the magazine tip! Will check it out!

The Cellar Craft Washington Viognier has a great reputation for being a super good kit. One of our moderators made one and it beat out some commercial Viogniers in a blind taste test. If it comes in different levels of kits, always buy the best kit.

Tim Vanderbilt (check spelling), from Wine Makers Magazine said something in this last issue, "If you buy a better kit, the extra money you spent will show up in the bottle". That's paraphrased, of course.

Thanks for the tip! I will have to read up on that kit - perhaps I will give it a shot!

Ah yes, I figured that was probably the case. So how do you feel about the whole elite concentrate kits vs. an all juice kit, as in the MM ones? One would think all juice would always be superior to concentrates.

Interesting. Can we assume that cheap concentrates < elite concentrate kits < juice < frozen must < frozen grapes < actual grapes? Obviously the skill of any one will vary depending on who makes it, but generally.

Thanks for the tip! I will have to read up on that kit - perhaps I will give it a shot!

Ah yes, I figured that was probably the case. So how do you feel about the whole elite concentrate kits vs. an all juice kit, as in the MM ones? One would think all juice would always be superior to concentrates.

Interesting. Can we assume that cheap concentrates < elite concentrate kits < juice < frozen must < frozen grapes < actual grapes? Obviously the skill of any one will vary depending on who makes it, but generally.

The only all non-concentrate kit I have made is the MM Meglioli, which is about as good a kit as you can get. I have never made a MM "All-Juice" or any other juice bucket kit.

Of course the order also includes the quality of the grapes and how well all is packaged. Kits with grape packs, IMO, are going to be better than those without. (Here comes some argument, I am sure!!!) Fresh/frozen grapes are about equal and are definitely the top of the scale, but more challenging than a kit to make into wine.

I was looking at the Meglioli last night actually. They looked quite good. Is it true though, that the Amarone only comes with a grape pack OR raisins? I thought people were commenting that this bucket was best with both. It seems like for that price tag, you should be able to secure both if you wanted.

I was somewhat disappointed that the Meglioli doesn't include a cab. The Alljuice Masters Edition does, however. With a grape pack. I might give that a shot, love me a good cab.

I should really focus on getting a white started first though. Haha.

I ordered my MM Meg. Barolo with a grape pack. It also included the raisin pack. I think that is standard.

Yep, for the Amarone, I would use both packs. I made the MM Renaissance Amarone with raisins two full years ago. It is drinkable, but it is still not fully ready. I am sure the Meglioli Amarone is even bigger, so be prepared to wait awhile; I am sure it will be worth it.

Good to know, thanks! Amarone sounds pretty wonderful, so I have that on my short list. I suppose I should actually try it prior to that point though. I believe a winery near here offers one, so I'll have to stop and see.

I think the MM cab with grape pack might be my next red, would love to get a good cab done.

I think before that, I'll give a white a shot. Whether it be this Viognier you mentioned, or the Alljuice Riesling that Wade mentioned, who knows! Need to think on that a bit. My friend asked me to do a Falanghina (Italian white), but not sure how I would get my hands on that. Looked through most of the companies I am familiar with and no one stocks this one.

I think it is always good practice to "drink what you like". If you like a nice red than there might not be any sense in making a white. It is nice to have some other bottles lying around though in case you have friends over or want to give away as gifts, thank-you's, etc. I love sav blanc but a lot of my sav blanc kit went out the door as gifts. Should have saved more for myself!

Just my 2 cents on a white to try, you might go with a warm climate Chard. It will be a bit more full-bodied than most other whites. If you like bigger reds you can add some oak to the chard to give it some more character. Viognier can be more full-bodied also but tends to be very floral. It is another favorite of mine. That reminds me...I might need to make one.

Sounds like you wanted to make a kit but also sounds like you might enjoy a wine that is a bit sweeter. I know you wanted to stay with grape wines but you might look into the skeeter pee section of the forum. It is fun to make something entirely from scratch and you can make it as dry or sweet as your taste buds desire. And each bottle will be less than $1 in production costs. :h

Last edited:
For sure. I figure with the petite syrah and the port that I have going, that will keep me pretty entertained. The pinot noir should be an easier-drinking red that will be ready earlier than the rest of things I have going.

As you said, the white is more for others - lots of the people I know and who visit are white fans, so I like to have a little something for them. I do try to convert everyone to dry reds, but some just don't want to change! Haha.

Thanks for the advise on the oaked chardonnay - may just have to take that suggestion! As for sweeter, not so much anymore. I tend to like my Rieslings a bit sweet, since that is what I always used to drink, but don't drink it myself much anymore. I'd be interested in making a good dry one, or at the very least, an off-dry or something similar.

Skeeter pee sounds interesting though. I might need to give that a shot sometime for some good refreshing summer options. Thanks!

So the Washington Viognier that was mentioned... must be this one?

http://www.finevinewines.com/XPListDet2.asp?MM_PartNumber=110857

I just noticed that this must be somewhat concentrated, since you aren't getting 6 gallons of juice. So wouldn't something like this be superior?

http://www.finevinewines.com/XPListDet2.asp?MM_PartNumber=AJME164

I would think it would, but the first is the one that was specifically mentioned, so thought I would check. Plus, the first will likely only be on sale for the remainder of the day!

So the Washington Viognier that was mentioned... must be this one?

http://www.finevinewines.com/XPListDet2.asp?MM_PartNumber=110857

I just noticed that this must be somewhat concentrated, since you aren't getting 6 gallons of juice. So wouldn't something like this be superior?

http://www.finevinewines.com/XPListDet2.asp?MM_PartNumber=AJME164

I would think it would, but the first is the one that was specifically mentioned, so thought I would check. Plus, the first will likely only be on sale for the remainder of the day!

The above links did not work as expected.
The one I recommend is the Cellar Craft Showcase Viognier. It is 16 liters, so you have to add 7 liters of water. For this wine, not being a full 23liters is not a problem.

Hmm odd, they work for me.

The first one I linked was the Cellar Craft Showcase Yakima Valley Viognier. Looks like that is the one that you recommend.

The other one is a Mosti Mondiale Alljuice Master's Edition that is 23L/23L - do not have to add any water.

You like the CC one though? They appear to be roughly the same price, so thought I would ask!

Hmm.. also seems like the body is rated higher on the CC - perhaps due to the fact that they have an f-pac that is provided with that. As opposed to the MM one, which does not.

Latest posts

Back