WineXpert Suggestions for 1st premium kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NashChic

Reaction score
I have a special occasion coming up that I'd like to mark by making my first premium kit - a red from the Eclipse line. I'd like something I could start this year, bulk age and bottle at one year, and enjoy for at least 5 years. I usually don't use glass carboys (because of the weight), but I would buy one specifically for aging this kit. And I would also use 1+1 corks, per the suggestions I've read on this forum.

So my question is, which of the Eclipse reds would be a good candidate. I'm leaning toward the Lodi Old Vines Zinfandel, but I also enjoy Cabs and Merlots. I must admit I've never had a Barolo, although I've read such good reviews on here.

Any and all thoughts, feedback, or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

NashChik – I can only speak from experience. I have made the Lodi Ranch 11 Cab before and it was very good. I have also done the Pinot Noir and it’s my wife’s favorite. I started the Eclipse Stag’s Leap Merlot in Jan & it’s bulk aging now. I tasted it recently and it’s great. It really depends on what you like, but the Merlot is a favorite of mine. Hope this helps some.

I vote for the Stags Leap Merlot. I did one last year and it is starting to be very good.

Kevin

Nashchic, I have the Stags Leap Merlot on its 5th day of fermentation. After I checked the S.G. and stirred I took a tiny taste. Can't wait till next year. Bakervinyard

Another vote for the Stags Leap Merlot....yummmm

I have made both the Stag's leap merlot, and the Lodi ranch 11 before they were called "eclipse" - (I have an eclipse lodi ranch 11 on the go now). If you're more inclined to wait and be patient, I'd say to go for the Lodi ranch 11 Cab.. The Stag's leap Merlot is very good, and doesn't take as much time to get there as the Cab, but a lot of other higher end Merlot kits compare well to it in my opinion. the Cab is in a class by itself as far as kits go.

Phat - Would a year bulk aging & a year in the bottle (2 years old total) be long enough for the Cab to come around?

So based on the reviews, I pulled the trigger on the Stag's Leap Merlot. Merlots were my first "wine love" so, in the end, I figured it was appropriate.

Those of you who have experience with this kit (and similar "premium" kits)... I know the "Eclipse" line is very new, so I expect you can't speak from experience in aging this particular kit. The WineXpert material says the Eclipse reds should age max 4 years. I'd really like to enjoy this wine 5 years from now. My cellar temp is about 64 (pretty steady) & I plan to use 1+1 corks. Is it reasonable to expect I can reach 5 years with this kit? Anything else I can do to increase the odds of great kit wine at 5 years of age?

Latest posts

Back