Suggestions are welcomed

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My son helped me make wine for a couple of years and then decided he wanted more. Last spring he moved to Santa Rosa, CA to work in the cellar for Kendall Jackson (like JohnT said it is very physical, dirty work and doesn't pay particularly well). He already has a degree in economics so he decided to enroll in the certificate program at UC Davis (classes are on-line). It is expensive, but really a top notch program.

His managers took a liking to him and now he is being groomed as a winemaker. He will be a harvest enologist this year and may get to go to Australia in the winter/spring for a second harvest. So far, so good.

I think getting the degree first would open more doors, but the opportunity cost is very high. If you are like most people it would probably make more sense to work in the business to be sure you like it and then go back to school nights/weekends.

I would stay on the path he's on now. He is being groomed by a giant and then has the opportunity to go to Australia to learn more. He can get his certificate on line anytime. This experience is where he's really going to learn and it is also what's going to land him a Wine making Job at a good winery. Learn everything you can from the masters while doing it hands on.

+1 to what Dan said. Keep plugging along with the classes but opportunity quite often knocks only once. In this business its not so much the piece of paper as it is your work experience and what is in the bottle.

Dan and Mike, I don't think that the plans of terroirdejeroir's son were being held up for scrutiny. I believe he offered them up to the OP (TimK) as one example of how things can work out in that business.

I would stay on the path he's on now. He is being groomed by a giant and then has the opportunity to go to Australia to learn more. He can get his certificate on line anytime. This experience is where he's really going to learn and it is also what's going to land him a Wine making Job at a good winery. Learn everything you can from the masters while doing it hands on.

True, but they have made it clear to him that all their winemakers must have an academic credential. He is young and energetic, so he can handle it. Harvest may slow him down a bit, but all the OT will make it easier to afford the classes.

Dan and Mike, I don't think that the plans of terroirdejeroir's son were being held up for scrutiny. I believe he offered them up to the OP (TimK) as one example of how things can work out in that business.

Thanks, but it is good to hear other opinions.

Why would the opportunity cost be high? The price of the degree is high but the opportunity cost is the loss you would make by taking those courses and not doing something else with your time or money. If someone wants to get into professional /commercial wine making it strikes me the "opportunity cost" of a degree in wine making is rather small - although the price may be high...

Valid points, but in his case going back to school in a classroom setting would mean he wouldn't be able to continue to work full-time. Therefore, the opportunity cost of that option is about $60,000 in tuition and fees plus about $60,000 in lost income. Better to work full-time and get the on-line option than to invest $120,000 and then have to start over professionally.

Aha.. I understand. I teach on-line at a state university that has both online and in class courses and I guess I assumed that most colleges offer courses both on line or in class especially if the program was geared to a professionally focused degree and was aimed at adult learners. Our degrees are essentially in the liberal arts although somewhat professionally focused and we work essentially with adult learners (median age = 39)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back