Suggestions are welcomed

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimK

Reaction score
Good day,
I am posting a general starting out question. I have been interested in wine for sometime now and I think I want to get into the process more and possibly make a career change into the industry. The creative process of making wine is what interests me the most, followed by the viticulture aspect. (Just to be clear, drinking wine rules above all else). I am searching through wine making starter kits online and I am thinking of purchasing one to see what it's all about.
But my question/request is to find out some good ideas on where to start my journey. Any idea that has worked (or not) for anyone out there will be helpful. Anything at all. Should I try to get a part time job at one of the local wineries? ( I live in Ohio, not the Mecca for wine but does have its share of wineries) Has that worked for someone? Should I just try to accumulate as much wine making equipment that I can and have at it? Should I take an online class from a college/trade school that offers enology? Or is that not worth anything? Should I just pack up and move West? (Not an option at this point, but if someone out there thinks that's the only way, I wouldn't mind hearing it.) I am just trying to get a bunch of feedback on what has worked for others and any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thank for taking the time.

Cheers
TimK

I would certainly get the equipment required and make some wine at home. Learn the basics of things to measure and what you can do to deal with them. Next, assuming you still want to do this for a living, consider taking some classes, somewhere. Many completed have enology programs. I have no idea which ones are good or bad. Be ready for some science classes.

Finally go to many wineries, get to know the owners/winemakers. See if you can volunteer or work there when they need help, harvest, pruning, cleaning, whatever. They probably can help you figure out where to go next.

I only bought an equipment starter kit, picked some berries, read a few things, made a bunch of mistakes, and now I'm floating in pretty decent wine a year later.

Small $ investment, some time and motivation is all anybody needs to make the first few steps.

Hi TimK and welcome Pilgrim. Is there a community college or a four year school in your area that offers courses in wine making? You might consider contacting the dept faculty to ask if they know of good ways to break into the field. As cmason suggests, sign up for classes.

First, let me offer a reality check.

For most people, the winemaking industry offers never ending, back breaking, dirty, sweaty, sticky, wet TOIL for very little pay.

For owners, it offers substantial debt, red tape, worry, and sleepless nights. Some succeed, but more fail. Being independently wealthy helps and being a lawyer helps even more.

If you have visions of sipping wine amongst the barrels, with beautiful women, while classical music is playing in the background, you are in for a rude surprise.

IMHO, winemaking is driven by passion. You need to have this love of it that makes all of the above worth while.

OK, so if you still want to go forward, and the goal is to actually work in the commercial industry, I would recommend that you consider getting a degree. The way I see it, just like any other profession, education will provide you with a short cut into the industry over simply going to work for a winery. The UC Davis program (in California) is considered one of best world wide.

If education is simply out of the question, then yes, try to get a cellar rat job at a winery. You may need to offer "work for experience" where you receive no pay, but this will make it clear that you are there to learn and not simply be a free source of labor.

To start off making wine at home, there are two schools of thought. On one hand, you could get started with a low end kit where instructions guide you through the process from fermentation through bottling. On the other hand, you could start with whole fruit and get into the ENTIRE process from the beginning. This would require a lot more research and learning on you part, but if you want to work in the industry this will be better (IMHO).

In either case, I would immediately get started by reading through some good books on the subject..

Welcome to the forum and good luck. We are here to help so do not be shy about asking questions.

Winemaking is an art.

You can learn all the basics, all the advanced topics, all the terminology and get all the best equipment and still turn out swill.

Doing it will make all the difference, jump in with both feet and ask lots of questions, but don't be put off if nobody can tell you the "best" or a "fool-proof" method, there isn't any!

The best advice is to let the wine tell you how to make it.

TimK,,, there a goodly number of accomplished winemakers posting from Ohio, so you don't need to move West! LOL. Whereabouts in Ohio?
CMason has the best idea. If you have the time, getting involved with a winery will show you the all-encompassing basics from which we all sprouted! After that it's all about tweaking... If not that route, there's more than enough info on this site to see you thru a startup. Never be afraid to ask

"If you have visions of sipping wine amongst the barrels, with beautiful women, while classic(al music) rock is playing in the background"

There, fixed it for you! (See Bottle Shock)

Thanks everyone for the input. It seems that there is no true way to begin, (which I kind of figured) but it helps to hear it from others. I am leaning more towards the kit route to begin, just to get familiar with the process on a smaller scale. And then see where that takes me. I am not opposed to the long hours, hard work, the blood, sweat and tears aspect of it all because I have been there before. I will also keep looking for some classes. The only real wine related classes in the Cleveland area have been more towards tastings, pairings and hospitality management. I have not stumbled upon one that seems beneficial in the "making" department. I will keep looking. And hanging out at the local wineries more often won't be such a bad thing. All the suggestions were very helpful, thanks again. I appreciate it.
Cheers. TimK

Tim,

I did a batch of skeeter pee to start. Go through all the steps, understand what you are doing and why you are doing it. The cost is minimal. Then do a dragons blood. If you do that and read the Morewine manual start to finish, you will have more than a quarters worth of wine classes.

My son helped me make wine for a couple of years and then decided he wanted more. Last spring he moved to Santa Rosa, CA to work in the cellar for Kendall Jackson (like JohnT said it is very physical, dirty work and doesn't pay particularly well). He already has a degree in economics so he decided to enroll in the certificate program at UC Davis (classes are on-line). It is expensive, but really a top notch program.

His managers took a liking to him and now he is being groomed as a winemaker. He will be a harvest enologist this year and may get to go to Australia in the winter/spring for a second harvest. So far, so good.

I think getting the degree first would open more doors, but the opportunity cost is very high. If you are like most people it would probably make more sense to work in the business to be sure you like it and then go back to school nights/weekends.

Tim,

I did a batch of skeeter pee to start. Go through all the steps, understand what you are doing and why you are doing it. The cost is minimal. Then do a dragons blood. .

I have heard of the dragons blood, but the Skeeter Pee.!?!?..... I, grasshopper, have much to learn.

terriordj.. Sounds like your son is on his way. Right on!! As they say, If I knew then what I know now.! The dirty/physical work is kinda up my ally. (Behind the scenes in the entertainment industry, long hours, hard work most of the time). But being in my 40s, not as easy to pick up and follow what ever road I can. That is part of the dilemma. Gonna order a kit. Also have a friend that knows and owner of a small winery in the area. Gonna go there and ask a lot questions. And then grab a bunch of books.
Peace
TimK

Wait, are you are saying this isn't the case?

Yup,

You would dream that it is like this...

images

but in reality (and with my luck) it is more like this

images

This thread got me thinking of the time when I had a new friend helping me out.

We were doing the first racking out of the tanks. I had the first tank racked and on a hand truck. I asked him to take it outside and dump it (simply lay the hand truck down), but I forgot to warn him to immediately get out of the way.

At first racking, the minute the tank is laid down, 4 - 5 gallons of lees will immediately come spewing out. It does a great job on ones shoes if one does not immediately get out of the way.

This has come to be known as a "Winery baptism". We all get a good laugh each time it happens!

Thanks for the input everyone, especially the second pic that is priceless. I have one more request. Any suggestions on wine kits? There seems to be a bunch out there. Some seems to have all the pieces parts and others look like that there are a bunch of add-ons. I am looking for something that has the majority of the items I need so I don't get stuck finding out that I need "one more thing". And of course a quality product. Thanks in advance.

Peace
TimK

I think getting the degree first would open more doors, but the opportunity cost is very high..

Why would the opportunity cost be high? The price of the degree is high but the opportunity cost is the loss you would make by taking those courses and not doing something else with your time or money. If someone wants to get into professional /commercial wine making it strikes me the "opportunity cost" of a degree in wine making is rather small - although the price may be high...

Latest posts

Back