Stupid stupid mistake !!!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ericphotoart

Reaction score
A few days ago I started a Kiwi Wine. I was planning this for some time and finally I found relatively inexpensive fresh kiwi fruits at a local store. I stored them in paper bags to be fully ripen. Total 24 lbs per 6 gallon primary. The recipe called for a can of frozen grape juice and I added it. Foolishly I added a RED grape juice! It totally destroyed the beautiful light green color of the must. It's now an earthy fluid. Fermentation started and there is nothing wrong except this damn color. Anything I can do now or later? Or should I just call it "Ugliest Looking But Pretty Good Wine"?

Sorry.
I haven't done anything stupid for a while - I'm overdue.

From doing mostly country wines I agree with @winemaker81, the color will change a lot. Depending on the intensity of each color, in the real world a mix of red and green will get a color between yellow and brown so don't be surprised with a shade of amber.

I'd be cautious trying to change or remove color. There's always those pesky "unintended consequences" that happen even when they shouldn't.

As far as stupid goes you couldn't have made a less serious oversight. I would expect you would lose almost all of your green in fermentation, so you will likely end up with a light rose.

My kiwi rhubarb (my last stupid moment. Defrosting freezer bags of different batches in the same bowl, and holes in the bags made a blend :rolleyes:) is currently a cloudy yeasty beige with a hint of pink. I expect a little pink from the rhubarb might linger, otherwise it will be a 'white' wine.

Kiwi Concord... Pretend it was intentional! 😂

A few days ago I started a Kiwi Wine. I was planning this for some time and finally I found relatively inexpensive fresh kiwi fruits at a local store. I stored them in paper bags to be fully ripen. Total 24 lbs per 6 gallon primary. The recipe called for a can of frozen grape juice and I added it. Foolishly I added a RED grape juice! It totally destroyed the beautiful light green color of the must. It's now an earthy fluid. Fermentation started and there is nothing wrong except this damn color. Anything I can do now or later? Or should I just call it "Ugliest Looking But Pretty Good Wine"?
bentonite

Best advice! Close your eyes whilst drinking it! :h

As far as stupid goes you couldn't have made a less serious oversight.
Yup. Of all the bone headed things that can be done, this is trivial.

Another thought -- if the color is truly objectionable, bench test adding red wine to produce a true rose color.

Thinking about it further, post fermentation I'd fine with bentonite and rack after 2-3 weeks. I suspect the problem will be greatly reduced, if not gone.

Latest posts

Back