Stunted Shoots Mystery

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JaxTom

Junior
Reaction score
Grape Variety: Blanc du Bois
Age of vine: 4 years
Training/trellis: Bilateral cordon/VSP

Hello,

I have 12 Blanc Du Bois vines in my hobby vineyard. Over the past two years they became overly vigorous and imbalanced partly due to lots of rain. So this winter I decided to plant Zoysia grass between the rows for water resource competition. I used Killz-All herbicide on the weeds while the vines were dormant this winter and laid the Zoysia down in Feb.

Budbreak came on time in mid-March but by mid-April it became very apparent that 8 of the 12 vines had grossly stunted shoots only on one cordon while the other cordon's shoots were perfectly normal and healthy. The most peculiar thing was that the stunted shoots were comprised of multiple leafs in tight bunches with no shoot emerging. Also the leaves of the stunted shoots had yellowish hue along the veins which I had never seen before. (see attached) All the flowers necrosed and withered prior to fruit set.

The stunted shoots are just now beginning to push shoot growth (most 18-24 inches) but the shoots have a distorted zig-zag appearance with very short internodes with an almost bamboo appearance.

Has anyone else had this problem or know what the heck is going on? I first suspected herbicide damage but why would the damage be confined to one entire cordon while other cordon on same vine grows normally.

Should I cut off the affected cordons and try to regrow a new one this season or should I wait to see what happens next season? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

IMG_3471 (2).jpg

IMG_3470 (2).jpg

Wow that is a mystery. I think I would let it grow this year and see what happens. If any shoots grow in the area to make a replacement cordon for next year I would let it grow for now and see what happens next spring. if it is still stunted, use that shoot as a replacement. Hope they grow out for you.

Thanks Grapeman. I'm leaning in that direction. Don't have the heart to lop off the cordons yet unless it's for a really good reason.

Latest posts

Back