Stunted Grape Growth - need help

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian2412

Junior
Reaction score
I need help. I planted my vineyard in 2013 here in Kennewick, WA. I have drip irrigation. I have a dramatic variance in vine rigor throughout the vineyard even among the same varieties. I'm very concerned as several vines won't even come close to reaching the bottom wire in year 2. Looking at this photo, ImageUploadedByWine Making1405047887.970354.jpg the varieties in the 2 closest rows are Grenache, next row is Syrah, next row is Syrah and Mourvèdre, 5th row is a mix, and the furthest row is Riesling. The grapes at the bottom of the hill appear more vigorous. Here is another view this time looking down the hill (same vantage point. ImageUploadedByWine Making1405048071.234243.jpg here is a view from the top of the hill with Grenache to the far right. ImageUploadedByWine Making1405048139.466787.jpg

Following are two close ups of some stunted vines. Again, this is their second year. ImageUploadedByWine Making1405048190.519133.jpgImageUploadedByWine Making1405048206.346360.jpg. The smaller ones leaves appear lighter green. I've fertilized and keep a regular water schedule as we only receive 7" a year.

Any ideas as to what is wrong?

What is the pH of the soil? It looks pretty sandy. That could cause the pH to be very low as well as the soil being droughty.

How much water are you giving them. Sometimes too much water can cause the roots to become waterlogged which can stunt growth and cause yellowing of the leaves

BOB

pH is 8.5 in very sandy soil. All rows are on 2 gph drip with emitters located 12" on each side of the vine. I water for 40 minutes every other day. The soil is definitely not water logged...dry to touch several inches down.

Too Basic

8.5 is too basic, I think the grapes do better in a range of 6.5-7.2. I would try a little soil acidifier on a couple to see if that helps

If that's the case why would the same variety 50 feet away with same acidity be growing like crazy?

I would adjust the PH to about 6.5, ad a little sulfur around each vine, no more than 1/4 cup/ vine. Then recheck the PH a few weeks later. How often do you fertilize and what do you fertilize with?
Hans
www.MuscadinesAndMore.com

Back