Stuck MLF Help???

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I think I may have a problem... or not.. I innoculated my sangiovese after pressing and racked off the lees way too early (3 days after press). I moved to barrel and my MLF progress has dropped dramatically. The temp is cool in my cellar (60degrees). SHould I re-innoculate? I used chris hansenn CH-16 and number for wine are this; ph 3.6, TA: 6.0 g/L, SO2 0ppm %Alc: 15.5. The wine taste amazing and I am wondering if I should re-innoculate and add a little SO2 as it has been sitting in a barrel for 2 months. Maybe add 15-20ppm just to ward off some bugs.. Suggestions?

Hi Everyone,

I think I may have a problem... or not.. I innoculated my sangiovese after pressing and racked off the lees way too early (3 days after press). I moved to barrel and my MLF progress has dropped dramatically. The temp is cool in my cellar (60degrees). SHould I re-innoculate? I used chris hansenn CH-16 and number for wine are this; ph 3.6, TA: 6.0 g/L, SO2 0ppm %Alc: 15.5. The wine taste amazing and I am wondering if I should re-innoculate and add a little SO2 as it has been sitting in a barrel for 2 months. Maybe add 15-20ppm just to ward off some bugs.. Suggestions?

Specs says CH-16 temperature range is 17-25°C (62°F – 77°F)
Your temp is too low.
If I remember right, 68F is the recommended temperature for that bacteria. I would warm it up a little and give it a good stir. On my last batch, I finally had to wamr the temp up to 72F before my CH-16 started working.

Did you add any mlf nutrients? You should. The ABV should be OK for that bacteria. I assume you know your malo starting place.

I agree about the free SO2 level after 2 months; that is a little risky. If you are going to re-innoculate, I would add get the SO2 up to about 20 ppm, wait a couple days, then re-innoculate. 20ppm will likely gt absorbed almost immediately, but it will help.

I don't think i would add any SO2 at this time. You want to keep it warm. 65 is the minimum really for CH16 to be active. Keep the temps as stable as you can, MLB doesn't like temps swings all that much. I have held mine as long as 4 months waiting for MLB to finish w/o any problems.

Back