Stuck Malo with chardonnay juice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RandyR

Junior
Reaction score
Need a little help.

I received 6 gal juice bucket from Calif on 10/2 only sulfited. Started primary on 10/2 and introduced malo on 10/7 after primary completed.

Readings at beginning of malo - 70F, 0 brix, 8.5 TA, 3.6 pH, approx 160 mg/L mallic, approx 4 ppm SO2. Malo started slowly although all readings including temperature were within acceptable range for malolactic culture. Malo has now stuck. Room temp where carboy is located is 70F constant.

After searching for an answer, I have now strapped heater on carboy with blanket, and have begun raising temp to about 85F in hopes of restarting malo. Am I on the right track, or should I be doing something else? Cannot bottle now since it might start again in the bottle and cause a problem.

Randy

Wait, your doing a MLF and even remotely thinking about bottling? What is your hurry? Your months away from bottling and yes your on the wrong track I would say.
MLB does not need to be anywhere near 80 degrees! Cool it down. Read the directions on your MLB. They like a steady temp and a cooler temp (60-70). Why do you think the MLF is stuck? There is usually no sign of MLF, that is why you need to test with chromatography or similar.

Thanks for replying.

I have a copy of Pambianchi's book, which said that malo produced carbon dioxide bubbles, which I thought I could monitor in the airlock. Never believe everything you read. I have not seen bubbles in the airlock since the first 2 days after I added the malo culture (Wyeast 4007). That is why I thought it was stuck - no bubbles at all. Also, the same book mentioned raising the temperature to restart a stuck malo, so I raised the temp. Also, since I was under the impression it would be bubbling and producing carbon dioxide, I did not bring the level up to the top of the carboy to minimize the possibility of oxidizing.

I measured the mallic acid by Accuvin test kit last night and it has dropped from about 160 to 110, so it appears to be progressing slowly without any outward signs.

At your suggestion, I will let the temp drop slowly to ambient, around 70F, and use marbles to bring the level up to the top of the carboy, and set it aside for awhile. No way to sulfite now, so hopefully I am not too late.

Thanks for the recommendations. Any other comments?

Pambianchi's book is an excellent resource. You will not see bubbles in the airlock like during regular aerobic fermentation. You may see some small bubbles around the sides of the carboy at wine level but not always. A successful MLF needs pH to be in the right range, as well as % alcohol and of course sulfite. then you have to be patient. We are talking a month. The marbles are a good idea or racking down to smaller vessels if possible. 70 is a good temp. Just try and hold it steady if you can and it should go well.

Latest posts

Back