Stuck Lemon

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jojo

Reaction score
It has been hanging at 1.020 for two weeks now. No bubbles and it does not appear to be spitting out sediment anymore. I think she's clarifying.

What to do?

Yeast starter.

Start a glass of any fruit juice (which aren't sulfited) and put about 3 tablespoons sugar in it. Put a little yeast nutrient (1/2 tsp) in there too, and add a packet of yeast. Let it sit overnight in a larger jar, covered with a towel or washcloth (dry).

When you start seeing fermentation, add a little bit of your lemon must. Replace the covering, and let it sit for a while. When that starts fermenting further, add some more lemon must.

Continue to do this until you think you've got a good fermentation going, and when there's a lot more lemon must in it than your original fruit juice.

You have to ease your lemon must slowly into the yeast, is basically what I'm saying. Yeast are not that happy with a high acidity level, so don't plunge them into it, ease them into it - they're so dumb, they don't realize that it's just the same amount of acidity that they didn't like before.
smiley36.gif

Hope this helps.

Keep us posted!

jojo, what was the starting SG of the must and what yeast did you use?

smiley25.gif

Must be the acid then like Martina the hard lemonade expert says.

Got the starter going.

Just curious.....Let's sayI don't do this, and proceed to stabilize and clear at the current 1.020, will the wine clear normally and end upwith less alcohol and abit sweet?

You might go ahead and proceed with stabilization and add the appropriate amount of sulphite and sorbate, but if the wine is still slowly fermenting or decides to start from all the stirring, it will obtain a bad taste from the sorbate. 1.085 is kinda high for hard lemonade, or is it lemon wine? Hard lemonade is normally about 5%, or like beer. If the SG has been the very exact same for a few days, what the heck, stabilize, but do not bottle right away, leave in bulk for at least a month to be sure it is done. It probably needs to clear anyway. Edited by: Hippie

jojo said:
Got the starter going.

Just curious.....Let's sayI don't do this, and proceed to stabilize and clear at the current 1.020, will the wine clear normally and end upwith less alcohol and abit sweet?

You could stabilize and let the wine clear at that SG. From experience, everything clears eventually.
smiley36.gif
Technically, you could filter it (if you have a filter), and it would clear that way, but time clears all wines!
smiley2.gif
By George, you got it! with the sweetness and less alcohol!!! That's exactly what it would do.

I have to disagree with Hippie on the 5% on hard lemonade. Mine were usually 13% and they turned out pretty good, I think. It was a very sour wine, which I loved, but that's a matter of personal taste.

Just my 2 cents. Let us know what you decide.

Martina

I was talking about the popular commercial brands of hard lemonade, usually 5%. Apparently, this is a lemon wine topic and I am confused.

smiley36.gif

Yeah, it's lemon wine. At least that's what it started out as.
smiley36.gif

I followed Cheryls recipe on winepress. I forget what the acid test came to. I wish I had written it down. I'm gonna stabilize it. It's pretty clear already and I figure its tart to being with so maybe sweet is good thing with this one.

Thanks for the help! This was the first batch that didn't ferment wildly. It just stood there.

Hippie said:
I was talking about the popular commercial brands of hard lemonade, usually 5%. Apparently, this is a lemon wine topic and I am confused.

smiley36.gif

Hard Lemonade, lemon wine -- what's the difference!
smiley2.gif

ok, I tried to make a hard lemonade, not wine. I was shooting for about a 5% alc. It stuck pretty good. I started another yeast with some white grape juice and sugar and water, it started bubbling and going good. Then I introduced the lemonade must, a litte at a time until I had 1 gallon going. The batch total was 2 gallons. Then I completely mixed the old 1 gal of must with the new started gallon that was fermenting and it seemed to take off really good, then the next day when I stirred it, it went south from there and has not fermented anymore. I am thinking of tossing it out and starting over. I dont know what to do. Any suggestions???
smiley5.gif

What are your SG readings? When you began? When you added the starter? What is itat now? I have learned that just because you cannot see evidenceof fermentation does not necessarily mean it is not happening Edited by: Waldo

You should add a little of the must at a time until you have a huge starter, maybe a quart. This will acquaint the new yeast with the high acidity of the must. If you just used white grape juice, sugar, and water, the starter was not acclimated to the lemon must when you 'pitched'. Also, you should ensure the must is around 74*F, and do not stir the yeast in, simply 'float it on top'. The temp can be allowed to lower a little at a time if possible. A 'yeast starter' always should include incorporation of the must a smidgen at a time until the starter is very large, at least when dealing with hard to start musts like hard lemonade. Another thang to try is to use Lalvin EC-1118 yeast or other champagne types. If it is fresh, it will seldom fail.

I started with the 71B, then when I started another starter(1118), I started off with the grape juice(1 cup), then added little by little the original lemonade must until I had 1 gallon. At that time, it was fermenting. When I added it to the other pure gallon of lemonade, it started to ferment. I stirred the followingday, just like the other wines that I do. I stir the heck out of themas they ferment.

ok, I checked the S.G. again and the alc was at 14%, so, I watered it down to 6%, stirred very good again and added more nutrient and energizer and I shall see what happens in the next day or 2. I hope the extra water will bring down the acidity to a better fermenting level.

Latest posts

Back