WineXpert stuck fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SWMBO=She who must be obeyed! My wife cant tand the smell of anything fermenting and REALLY hates when I brew beer!!!!! I love the smell of both. Yoir wine is fine and like others said the 2nd yeast you added most likely died off due to the alc that was already present.

Today (3-26-10) I racked both the Pinto Gris and the SL Merlot into carboys. The PG, SG was 0.990, temp was 73 degrees. The SL, SG was 0.992, temp 73 degrees.
I used my recently purchased 12" funnel with strainer to complete the transfers. The PG was cloudy due to my not using a coffee filter for the final pour. The SL Merlot transfer worked beyond expectation. I transferred almost all of the wine into the carboy. I'm optomistic that these wines will have a better, stronger taste than my previous batches.

Thanks to all who commented on my earlier blogs. Your information was great. Next year when I begin drinking these batches, for first glass will be tipped to you.

Ron

Ron:

Glad you're a big strong guy who likes to toss 23 litre pails and carboys around. But a funnel is a poor expenditure. You will (in my opinion anyway) be contributing to the oxidation of your wine doing that. More importantly, even with a 12" funnel you stand a good chance of making a mess. You should look at getting an Auto-Siphon (or at least a racking cane) and some hose.

There are many different opinions about wine making on the forums, but I think just about everybody will recommend getting the right equipment.

Steve

Right on Steve,
I would be concerned as well. A Auto Siphon can be had for $10 + Well worth the investment. It is hard to make wine withouot the right equipment.

I 3rd the auto siphon and believe the onlky possible use for that funnel is for starining a fermenting wine off its fruit, maybe?

Steve,

I'm not a big strong guy, and obviously not an author either. I do use a siphon, and have been since I started making wine a year ago. What I was trying to say, was that as I reached the bottom of the fermentation pail, instead to wasting juice; I strained it into the carboy using a funnel. Believe me, it was not heavy and not messy. It did produce more wine and now I won't be required to add as much water as I did with the previous batches.

Thanks for all the responses.

Ron

Back