Stubborn Merlot

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terroirdejeroir

Reaction score
I made five batches of wine from California grapes: Cab Sauv, Cab Franc, Merlot, Malbec, and Petit Verdot. After alcoholic fermentation was complete I started MLF on each batch using Viniflora Oenos with OptiMalo Plus and they all started nicely. Several weeks later both the Cab Franc and the Merlot got stuck, so I tried to restart with Lalvin VP-41. As I was concerned about providing too many nutrients for the nasties to snack on, I didn't add any additional nutrient. Neither batch restarted successfully, so I tried again with VP-41 and OptiMalo Plus. This approach was successful for the Cab Franc, but still no luck with the Merlot.

I think the problem with the Merlot is the ABV as the initial Brix was 25.9 and I didn't dilute the must. Is it too late to add acidulated water? Would it be a good idea to blend it with the Cab Franc (21.1 Brix) as I am planning on blending eventually? The pH of the Merlot is 3.52 and the ambient temperature is 72 degrees.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

It could very well be that you ABV is too high. at 25.5 brix, your potential abv is 15.5. Vinifloro Oenos is tolerant to up to 15% abv.

You are, however, only slightly above the upper limit. I have found that the level of SO2 is more likely the cause of a stalled MLF. You make no mention of SO2. Do you know what level you are currently at?

It could very well be that you ABV is too high. at 25.5 brix, your potential abv is 15.5. Vinifloro Oenos is tolerant to up to 15% abv.

You are, however, only slightly above the upper limit. I have found that the level of SO2 is more likely the cause of a stalled MLF. You make no mention of SO2. Do you know what level you are currently at?

John,

I can take a reading this evening, but I have not added any SO2 since the crush in late september. Thanks.

Merlot has a resistance to enzymatic break down more than most varietals , so mlf can take longer .

Adding more optimalo and stirring the lees into suspension should be your first intervention . If gently stirring it up once a week after that doesn't help it finish in another 5 weeks , you could pull a gallon of your successfully completed other wine and swap it for a gallon of the Merlot . This is often enough to overcome Merlots natural resistance to mlf .

Latest posts

Back