Strawberry Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbishop

Junior
Reaction score
I am making my first two batches of wine (Strawberry) and I transfered to secondary last night after 5 days in the primary. I used 2 recipes, one went in the primary with the berries in. The brix reading for this was 28 and I added critic acid. It taste like it has a very high acl content, acid test showed .6875 yesterday. Will it mellow out or should I do something to it to cut the acl now or later?

2nd batch was juice only and the recipe did not call for critic acid brix was 22 at the start. Check acid last night and it was .875 taste is bitter. Can I add something now to reduce the acid? will that help the bitterness?

Your first wine sound right in the general range and should mellow out fine.

Your second wine is a big high. Jack Keller explains some options for lowering it here: http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/acid.asp
At this point it is best to let them bulk age and finish fermenting before you try fiddling with the acidity. Have you checked their SG?

Time will improve the flavor of both, once they've been bottled.

Thanks for the info, The SG of the first batch was .990 amd the second was 1.000 when I moved to secondary and put on a air lock.

With the second wine with the slightly too hich TA you could cold stabilize it which is the most natural and doesnt require using any chemicals or you can use potassium bicarbonate which is a better option then the CValcium carbonate after fermentation.

Acid Reduction with Potassium Bicarbonate: For liquors with acid levels of 8 to 10 p.p.t., potassium bicarbonate treatment can be used to reduce acid through precipitation and neutralization. A measured 3.4 grams or 0.1 oz. of potassium bicarbonate will reduce the acidity of one gallon of wine or liquor by one p.p.t. The compound is stirred directly into the full batch, then chilled to facilitate precipitation of potassium bicarbonate lees.

Latest posts

Back