Strawberry Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bnew17

Reaction score
This is my first ever batch of Strawberry Wine. We have a awesome little strawberry farm here in town. They have the most flavorful strawberries ive ever had and at a good price. I picked right at 106 pounds through my handful of trips to the farm. My goal was to get 10 gallons of finished product and while that will not happen I am still very excited about this wine. I used 0 water with this wine and did not follow a recipe. I leaned on fellow member Turock for his guidance, knowledge, and instruction through the process. Thank you Turock!

I cut the green tops off of each berry and split them. After I had processed about a gallon of berries I sprinkled some sugar on them and stirred them real good and put them into quart freezer bags. I let them sit in the fridge over night and then into the freezer. The berries released some juice in the fridge but when they came out of the freezer and thawed the entire bag was pretty much juice and the berries completely macerated. After thawing I poured all the juice into a bucket and gave the fruit a light squeeze to get any extra juice out. In the end I had almost 6 gallons of juice and 5 gallons of fruit. I put all the fruit in panty hose and used a 32 gallon brute trash to ferment in. I added my campden tablets and pectic enzyme to the must. The SG before any addition of sugar was 1.040 and after adding 7 ½ pounds of sugar I had the SG at 1.080. My initial PH reading was 3.65 and I got it to the target PH of 3.4. I let this sit for 24 hours and pitched my yeast. I used Montrachet red star. I accidently added all my yeast nutrient at once instead of step feeding it. Not sure what happened there but I will chalk it up as a brain fart because I knew better. I was concerned about having a problem ferment but everything worked out. By 5/24 the must had reached the dry stage and I racked into the secondary.

The first day

F6C999A5-E694-4C2D-9C13-076E5C3A43ED_1.jpg

After pitching the yeast

F390DBB6-6AFA-4EEA-BD9F-02628CC67602.jpg

The morning after racking to secondary. I could not find my half gallon jug so I used the gallon for the time being. It is now in the half gallon jug. My 2 glass carboys are currently in use so I used some purified water jugs I had.

13D75B12-7EC7-49C2-9148-A26CD93A0133.jpg

There is a great many lees in the middle jug. They have since settled more. After my first racking I anticipate on having roughly 8 gallons.

Last edited:
You're welcome, Bnew!!!

Oh wow--I didn't know you used Montrachet. You're very lucky you didn't encounter problems because you didn't step-feed the nutrient. Montrachet is an easily stressed yeast without good nutrient management. When you told me you didn't step-feed, I was waiting for you to tell me that the ferment was producing H2S or had become stuck!! I'm glad it worked out without any problems.

We spend alot of money on fruit, this time of year. Let's be sure we are step-feeding nutrient to all our ferments so that we don't encounter any problems and have a good year of excellent ferments without problems!

Nice.
I was thinking of making some strawberry wine because the orchard around 20 miles from me will start the pick your own in about 2 weeks.

How much you paid per pound?
You said you added no water at all?
Are you planning to back sweeten?

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Nice.
I was thinking of making some strawberry wine because the orchard around 20 miles from me will start the pick your own in about 2 weeks.

How much you paid per pound?
You said you added no water at all?
Are you planning to back sweeten?

Correct. The only water that was used was the water i mixed yeast with.

On the berries i picked i paid roughly $ 1.50 a pound. On the "over ripe" fruit i paid around .75 cent a pound and that was pre picked. I got to be friends with the farm owner and let him know what i was doing and he worked with me. He actually called me yesterday saying he had 30-40 more poundsnof over ripe fruit but i dont really have any room for it and ive pushed my luck far enough with the wife....i do plan on backsweetening.

Strawberries are about done here. The peaches will be getting ready in the next few weeks and my muscadine vines are LOADED. Cant wait to start with them!

Last edited:
I've got to try a fruit wine with no water added....
I stopped by a liquor store and found blueberry wine, but not cheap. A 500ml bottle for $11, their 750ml (different brand) was $24 :sh

But that 750ml bottle seemed like a port because it said it had brandy and the ABV was much higer that the 500ml bottle.
I bought the smaller bottle to try.

Here's a pic of the one I bought, again blueberry.
I wonder if no water was added, back label says it is made from 100% blueberries but that doesn't mean anything....ImageUploadedByWine Making1401553595.603146.jpg

geek--If you make a blueberry wine, I would suggest diluting with water. Use a good recipe that someone on this site has approved of, using enough fruit. I've had all blueberry made with no water and the flavor was not what a blueberry wine tastes like. Infact, if you didn't know beforehand that it was blueberry, I wouldn't have been able to tell what the wine was. It was just too intense and slightly harsh. There are a few fruits that need water dilution--blueberry, red raspberry and blackraspberry come to mind.

If your not wanting to add water to blueberry wine then I suggest cutting it with some fruit forward red grapes. Chancellor has worked well for me in the past. I generally use a 1 to 2 ratio of blueberries to grapes.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making Talk App

Thanks guys.
Since the pick your own season for strawberries will start here next week, am planing to buy around 50 pounds as I'd like to make a 5gal batch, all-juice and no water added.

I have 31 lbs of frozen Virginia strawberries (pick your own is about $2.29 a lb) so planning on making a 3 gallon batch. I put the frozen berries in the glass carboy but they didn't all fit because I didn't slice them before I froze them.

It's one of those widemouth carboys so I can reach in and squeeze the berries and stir the must.

IMG_5716.jpg

That doesn't seem the best way to get your wine going. Surely I will be best to defrost in a bucket with sugar, pectic enzyme, etc, and to start fermenting there?

I went ahead and put some of the sugar in to help macerate it. Should I put pectic enzyme in now? Directions say an hour before adding yeast.

12 hours according I my instructions. And you don't add yeast until you have it all defrosted, sugar set at the right SG for the alcohol levels you want, and so on.

I am confused: you have made fruit wine from your post history - so why isn't all this in a bucket, defrosted, sugar added, pectinaise in there for 12 hours (not sure, but I would probably add after strawberries are all defrosted and you have given them a good mashing), etc? Am I missing something?

Last edited:
Yeast won't take off if the berries are cold. Important to get the must to room temp and you need meta on them too so they don't start to spoil while waiting for them to thaw.

We like to throw pectic enzyme on them while they thaw--gives you good fruit breakdown to do it ahead of beginning the ferment.

I never said I was adding yeast until they were defrosted... They are defrosting in the glass container. I plan to do the primary ferment here (I will leave the lid open (covered with cheesecloth) and stir/mash/squeeze daily). I'm not sure why this is worse than using a plastic bucket?

Turock- I added the pectic enzyme now to help start breaking it down.

I saw some debate about how many lbs of strawberries to use and whether it would be too acidic with no added water. I tend to agree with the latter (it tastes very acidic) and I don't have a ph meter so I think I am going to top the rest off with water, maybe a gallon. Total is 22 lbs in an 18 liter container, so hopefully I will get at least 3 gallons into secondary.

By all means, feel free to question or criticize anything you think I'm doing really wrong here, I appreciate any feedback you guys have. I have made some DB in the past that turned out decent, but I'm still fairly new at this.

Last edited:
In thinking about it I have chosen not to start in the jar I am going to seal as once I take out the must and rack it I will always end up with a jar that is short and needs topping up. Better to have a little too much in a bucket so you can fridge some and fill a carboy. Then you have a little to top off after the first racking (where I always seem to lose the most gunk and need the greatest top up volume).

Apologies if I came off snarky - just wasn't sure if you had some master plan or if you were being really new at this. I am really new at this, so thought maybe I was missing something in your method.

No worries! My master plan is just primary ferment in 18L glass jar and then fill 12 liter glass carboy. :) hopefully with some extra liquid to top off with (I usually just fill some pint ball jars).

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

datcv--Yes you are correct that the wine will be acidic without some adjustment of PH. But water is a bad way to it. A gallon of water in so few strawberries will give you a weak result. It's so important to get a PH meter so you have control over your ferments. Use calcium carbonate to raise the PH instead of water.

Latest posts

Back