strawberry wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jw74vette

Junior
Reaction score
I started a batch of strawberry wine today that called for tannin to be added, i didn't have any tannin so i left it out and added the rest of the ingredients, will the wine be ok? how important was it to add the tannin? thanks jeanette

Welcome to the forum!

"Tannin is the naturally occurring astringency found in grape skins, often described as a “sandpaper” feel in your mouth." I also read elsewhere that fruit wines lack astringency so that's why you add tannin.

Have never added tannings to strawberry yet and everyone love the stuff. OOPs last batch sucks, I made it to strong

It will be just fine without the tannin. I think the best use of tannin for strawberry is to stabilize the color better, since color problems are something nearly everyone has with that wine. The astringency factor is not really necessary on this wine.

Where did you get the recipe to make the strawberry wine? Strawberries will be coming into season soon ;)

Tannin is necessary only if you make grape wine, you still can add tannin to your strawberry wine if you like the tannin taste.

Back