Strawberry Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I pitched the yeast yesterday late afternoon and punched down the bag before I went to bed. I forgot to punch down the bag this am prior to work and when I arrived home, I could smell a distinct strawberry smell. Yep you guessed it, the must done foamed over the bucket. Siphoned 1/2 gallon from the bucket and placed into a jug. Should have ample room now I hope.

Yeasties are very happy.

Did you add all the berries in one bucket? Small wonder you had blow off.
I use 2 buckets when doing fruit.

tepe said:
Did you add all the berries in one bucket? Small wonder you had blow off.
I use 2 buckets when doing fruit.

Yes, I did add all to one bucket. Should have thought ahead about the overflow. Live and learn

I suspect that most, if not all, of us who having been making wine for some time have had foam overs. That is why I now use a very large primary and place it in a location where a foam over would do little damage. Have fun! Do this long enough nd you will make lots of mistakes!

Thought so. Currently I have 18 gallons of Peach wine in 6 buckets in primary. Since I got such a deal on them I used about40-45# per 6 gal.

tepe said:
Thought so. Currently I have 18 gallons of Peach wine in 6 buckets in primary. Since I got such a deal on them I used about40-45# per 6 gal.

I'd love to find a deal like yours. You have a good source for fruit...

Since I'll be getting the steam juicer tomorrow, what amount of berries should I save for the purpose of an fpac. 4 lbs sufficient or should I go more?

get more. You will love it. I think I stick about 8# strawberry in mine

tepe said:
get more. You will love it. I think I stick about 8# strawberry in mine

I have 20 lbs in the freezer now, I'll reserve 8 for the fpac.

Aldi's as them in their flyer again this week at .99 /lb may pick up some more just to have and maybe make jelly.

Everything is fermenting quite vigorously still. Punching down the bag 2x a day and giving the extra gallon jug a littte shake to keep mixed. Will check sq over the weekend and possibly transfer to secondary.

Remember you can "juice" and save them in "mason" jars for future use.
Yesterday I steamed some peaches I had in the freezer. Got 13 quarts in mason jars.

remind me.. How big is you batch?
What I do is simmer the steamed juice I'm using for a f-pac to reduce the water and make the juice more concentrated. If using 2 qts reduce to 1 qt.

tepe said:
Remember you can "juice" and save them in "mason" jars for future use.
Yesterday I steamed some peaches I had in the freezer. Got 13 quarts in mason jars.

I need to pick up some mason jars, never did any juicing before. I saw them at big lots the other evening reasonably priced.

tepe said:
What I do is simmer the steamed juice I'm using for a f-pac to reduce the water and make the juice more concentrated. If using 2 qts reduce to 1 qt.

My recipe was for a6 gallon batch of strawberry wine. I used 30 lbs of berries in the primary, and filled to just over 6 gallons in hopesof ending up with rightaround 6gallons when I transfer to secondary. I'm figuring (hoping) to end up with 5 gallons after clearing.

I followed your directions regarding simmering down when I made my batch of apple wine. Produces a very concentrated, very sweet juice without diluting the wine as much.

Well just got home and went to puch down the bag of fruit. There was no more foam on the surface. I went and got the hydrometer to check the sg, guess what, it was at .992. I have to say that was probably the fastest fermentation I ever had. I'll transfer into a carboy tomorrow or should I wait until the weekend as originally planned?

If U put 30# in a bucket and filled w/ water to 6 gal you will be very short
Split it in 2 primaries. Add 3 gal water then add 1/2 berries to ea

tepe said:
If U put 30# in a bucket and filled w/ water to 6 gal you will be very short
Split it in 2 primaries. Add 3 gal water then add 1/2 berries to ea

I lifted the fruit bag out and the level in the bucket was over 5 gallons with juice still dripping. I also have another 3/4 of a gallon in a jug now. I think I'll be able to fill a carboy (6 gallon) and end up with 5 when done.

sounds like U R good to go. Dont worry if you are a little short the f-pac and back sweetening will add more volume.

tepe said:
sounds like U R good to go. Dont worry if you are a little short the f-pac and back sweetening will add more volume.

Thanks Tom, As I said, I should end up with just over 5 gallons when clear. I think my total volume after transferring to carboy will end up just over 6 gallons based on levels now.

These forums are wonderful. Glad Runningwolf told me about this one also.

tepe said:

Tepe..... isn't the juice from the steamer concentrated enough?

would it be OK just to add sugar to that and be finished with the Fpack or is the reason for reduction a space issue with topping up??

No, far from concentrated. Depending on the fruit you will get different gravity readings. Today I steamed 18# of Peaches and got 9 qts (so they had alot of water). The avg gravity was 1.035. Now if you just froze peaches and thawed in water w/ pectic you may get 1.020 on a good day. Each fruit gives diferent gravity.

Latest posts

Back