Strawberry wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ARCHER

Junior
Reaction score
I'm making a 1 gal. batch of frozen strawberry wine and wanted to know which yeast to use, and why? I have three options:

Red Star primier cuvee

Lalvin K1-V1116

Lalvin 71B-1122

I checked out the manufacturers websites, and I see they each have advantages and different alcohol tolerances. Can some of you fruit wine makers weigh-in on this?

Archer

Use the 1116. You will get a fast fermentation and a fresh fruity wine. The strawberry juice will oxidize if the lag time is too long. The 1122 is more for high malic fruits. I have never used the cuvee stuff.

Thanks Hippie,

I was leaning that way. The K1-V1116 has a high alcohol tolerance. My wine will be around 12%, I guess I should sorbate at stabilization time, to make sure its dead. What is your reccommendation?Thanks.

Archer

The K1-V1116 will ferment it to dry in quick fashion, if the PA is kept at 12%, and plenty of nutrients are available. If the SG ends up at .992, and you are not planning to sweeten up, no need for sorbate, only sulphite at stabilization. Myself, I don't believe you will like a dry strawberry wine. Let it go dry nonetheless, then if you want it sweetened,include the sorbate.

Thanks, youdaman Hippie!

Good advice for someone who has never sweetened a finished wine.

Archer
smiley36.gif

Latest posts

Back