Strawberry wine fermenting too fast?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nyquil

Junior
Reaction score
Hello, so I decided to make a Strawberry wine (for summer) and pitched my yeast on Christmas Day, 12/25. I'm not a huge fan of grape wines.

My brewing experience is two batches of Joe's Ancient Orange Mead which turned out great.

The recipe for this wine is as follows:

4 lbs of frozen strawberries
2 lbs of white sugar
1 gallon of spring water
1 tsp of yeast nutrient
1/4 tsp of acid blend
1/2 tsp of wine tannin
1/2 tsp of pectic enzyme
1 packet of Lalvin 71B-1122 yeast

I put the strawberries in a pot with 3/4 of the gallon of water, brought them to 170 for five minutes then reduced the heat to steep them for 30 minutes. Mashed them up, stirred in the sugar and chemicals and put them in a muslin bag. I put the bag in a 2 gallon fermenter and added the rest of the water. I let it sit overnight to make sure the temp would drop to 70-80 (house is at 70) and added the yeast. I did not add a campden tablet to the must.

SG 12/25 before yeast - 1.070
SG 12/27 - 10.014

This seems like an awful drop in gravity for barely 48 hours. For the experienced fruit wine makers does this seem too fast or just about right?

That is certainly faster than usual, but I've had some fruit wines drop this fast. I've made four batches of carambola and they have all gone lightning fast, to 1.010 by the third day. Carambola is not a subtle wine flavor, so it doesn't really "blow off" its unique aromas, but this could be an issue with strawberry. Nutrient demands follow the fermentation rate, so you have to deliver the nutrient on an accelerated schedule or you can get off aromas which in my experience are always temporary once the nutrient problem is remedied.

There may not be much to do about this batch now. Knowing that fermentation was going fast, I'd try cooling down the must. I'm interested in what more experienced folks will say.

I do mainly all fruit batches and some fruits ferment very quickly and some take their time. I have had batches done in 3 days.

Latest posts

Back