Strawberry wine - again

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scorpio

Junior
Reaction score
I moved my 1 gallon strawberrywine from primary to carboy 8 days ago. There's an inch of sediment. SG .980. Recipe says to wait until SG is 1.0 or lessbefore I move it again - they said it would take 3 weeks to get there - mine took 8 days. Do I wait to rack again as SG is .98 or do it now?

Also tastes somewhat carbonated - will this go away with time? If I rack now how long should I wait to rack again and then ultimately bottle?

Thanks

I would rack it again. Since this wine is so young, any resemblance to wine is purely coincidental! It will taste carbonated for a while, until you degass the wine.

What I would do, is rack to a clean jug, wait a few weeks, rack again to get it off the sediment, then add k-meta and sorbate. Wait a while again, and backsweeten (if you wish). Then wait some more, and then degass, and get ready to bottle.

Note that wait typically means 1-2 weeks.

Dean said:
I would rack it again. Since this wine is so young, any resemblance to wine is purely coincidental! It will taste carbonated for a while, until you degass the wine.

What I would do, is rack to a clean jug, wait a few weeks, rack again to get it off the sediment, then add k-meta and sorbate. Wait a while again, and backsweeten (if you wish). Then wait some more, and then degass, and get ready to bottle.

Note that wait typically means 1-2 weeks.

Thanks for the response.
What can I top it off with as I will be short after all the sediment is gone.
Can I use a fruit juice. I saw some starwberry/Kiwi 100% juice?

If you top off with juice it will start to referment (if you haven't added sorbate and campden yet). I would suggest using two or three smaller bottles. Or use sanitized marbles to displace the amount you lose during racking.

Racked to a clean carboy

Can I add a little bentonite to aid in clearing. If so how much for 1 gallon

I have some Cranberry fruit cocktail (27% juice). If I add this after adding sorbate and cambden will I be o.k?
How much sorbate. I'm assuming 1 cambden.

If I just added juice, at this early stage, what would be wrong with lettting it referment again?

Thanks for the newbie help

Nothing wrong with it, all depends on what you want to do; you can keep adding sugar/juice until the yeast can't take it anymore, depends on how alcoholic you want it, and how much time you have. Above 15% and that last addition might take another month to work out. If you plan on fermenting more, don't worry about a dusting of sediment for now. If you add the sorbate, you shouldn't have anything to worry about. Will the cranberry take over the taste, or is it a small amount?

Back