Strawberry Skeeter Pee

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackspanish777

Reaction score
Made skeeter pee by the book until I got to back sweetening. Added less sugar and two cans of frozen strawberry daiquiri mix after clearing. I have stuff floating that appears to be strawberry pulp. Is sorbate the way to go to clear this or is pectic enzyme the way to go?

Making wine in South Texas since March 2014

Cibolo Creek Cellars

Follow us on Facebook:
www.facebook.com/sekulafamilyfarms

www.sekulafamilyfarms.com

A frequently reported problem after using cans of "something" for back-sweetening. Most likely the cans you used were not so pure.
Best is to use simple syrup for backsweetening - if you want any extra flavour from extra cans best to put them into the must at fermentation time.

Sorbate doesn't matter much - you probably have to re-settle with fining agents (and maybe pectic enzyme), re-clear and/or re-filter the wine - might take a little time.

Strawberry daiquiri mix has light pulp and seeds in it that's probably what you see floating, Before you use the mix for backsweetening it is best to strain it either through a coffee filter or cheese cloth

Time and a couple of rackings will clear it out for you. Had the same problem and just let it sit, it did eventually fall clear. Arne

From all the sp blogs on here I noticed u sure do favor the old skeeter pee dont ya arne?
I have my first batch sitting right now 2 weeks or so into it still really cloudy no visibility at all ive been shaking a few times a day to degas and its steadily pushing air out of the airlock

Latest posts

Back