Strawberry F-pak

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

osborngj

Reaction score
Ok, I have never made a F-Pak. I have 6 gallons of strawberry wine going into clearing today. It also has red grape concetrate. Here is the recipe I used. How do you make an f-pak and how much more strawberries should I need to make one?

Recipe.
30 lbs of frozen strawberries
750 ml of red grape concentrate
Enough surgar to bring S.G. up to 1.082
3 tsp of acid blend
pectin enzyme
K-meta

Go to the fruit winemaking forum and look at the top of the page in the stickies. Tom tells you how. Arne.

Ok, I got the instructions but still have a question.

What kind of prep work needs to be done to the fruit?

Here is the way I think I understand it.
Rinse with water, cut the stems, slice the strawberries, then throw them in a sanitized pan and add heat till a mush. Remove pulp then simmer down to about a 1/3 the volume. Add to wine after potasium sorbate and k-meta. Back sweeten later to taste.

Seems like I should have to do something to the fruit prior to adding to the wine. Couldn't I be adding some bug for lack of better words?

the heat will kill off any bacteria if that's what your asking.
If you are really worried about a bug, washing the fruit before slicing and cooking will get rid of most of them. if there is any left, well they never hurt Bear Grylls :dg

Well, here I go. Just seems very counter intuitive. All other stages of wine making is about cleaning and sanitizing. But I trust that everyone here has a ton more experience than myself.

So with that being said.
Thank you all for the help.

You still need to stay clean. The heat does the sanitizing.

If you like, it wouldn't hurt to add a bit of k-meta and wait for a day and add some pectic enzime. You will have to wait for everything to clear again as this will probably cloud your wine up again. No problem if you are addind before clearing, a bit disappointing if your wine is chrystal clear and you cloud it up again. Back to waiting again, patience, patience, patience (thanks, Tom). Arne.

Latest posts

Back