Strange 'balloony' taste to wine.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IronHoof

Junior
Reaction score
Okay I been having fantastic results since last time I posted. I think however I hit a new road block. I made a bunch of wine last time with a balloon like flavor hard to describe. It tasted bouncy, or latexy? like.

I thought this was a characteristic of passion fruit wine. So It was all drank and good enough. I didn't give it another thought.

Then recently I made another batch of apple wine. Now I had apple wine turn out great multiple times. To my surprise the apple this time has the exact same characteristics. It completely takes over the flavor. The same strange flavor I am just basic fermenting. Just till the sugar is gone below 1.0 then I treat and bottle. I use potassium sorbate, and campden. 1 tablet and 1/4 teaspoon of sorbate to a gallon. THe other wine using this treatment the blackberry doesnt have this problem.

I am wondering what is the culprit I know its something bacterial perhaps. How do I get rid of it? The taste now that I identified it is not normal and kind of gross. Its a hard flavor to describe its not a foul thing just... _____ insert best description here kind of thing.

Last edited:
Hard to tell from your description. Any more detail would be a great assistance (type of yeast, nutrients used, etc).

I would first check to see if it is sulfur related (perhaps mercaptans?).

Try a bench trial. Pour equal amounts of wine into TWO glasses and add a penny that you have scoured (use a scotch-brite pad) into one of them. Let this sit for 5 minutes, swirling both glasses every so often.

after 5 minutes or so, and just before you are ready to sample the results, pour a third glass of your wine into a third glass.

Compare all three glasses. Did any of the glasses improve? This test should tell you if a copper treatment will help or if your wine can improve with simple aeration.

If not, then report back and we can advise further.

Last edited:
Ooh! Invest in a couple corks with airlock holes and a couple air locks ! Very inexpensive! An airlock is less than a dollar. And I have switched over from the rubber stoppers to silicone stoppers cuz the rubber ones have an off smell to them imo. The rubber are less than a buck too! The silicone ones are a lil over a buck but never have an off oder! You might want to try Reduless follow the directions you don't want to overdose it. Also if using Gallen jugs you can get the screw on plastic caps with holes. Label peelers has the screw on caps and silicone stoppers. But I get my Reduless from more wine but I would stop using the balloon! Lol Hopefully your not using a balloon! If you spend a couple bucks on the right equipment you'd spend a lot less than trying to fix it. Hope this helps... And also what are you using to clean and sanitize with? To prevent this from reoccurring ? And as John has mentioned nutrients play a big part in off oders and tastes.
barbiek

Last edited:
Apparently the only component which has changed is the apple! Not too often do we consider TERROIR, but it is factor #1 which can affect the product. A stretch for sure but all other factors being the same,,,,,

All interesting points!
Here is what I can tell you about it. It isn't a foul odor its almost pleasing if it was in there in some minor quantity. Its floral
rubbery like. I am terrible at describing the flavor cause its unique. Its not sulfur like but the penny thing is interesting I will have to try that.

Its real noticeable on the finish side it has a after taste which i describe as bouncy. I am using proper rubber bung corks with a bubbler like you should use. While reading I got a clue though the closest one out of all the taints sounds like geranium oil. Which is a mystery since I never ate geraniums before. I don't really add potassium sorbate till the very end,
and it seems to affect the white wine. I might stop using it if this is the case as it sounds like I don't need it on dry wines anyway. Wine making is a fun mysterious experience. I will finish off the wine just drink it in smaller quantities. It has not made me sick so thats good. I just hate to waste it even corked :ib

Back