storing wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benaway

guru of nothing
Reaction score
I have some wine I made, the ferment is done, I have removed it from air lock.
for the past 4 days it has been capped with no pressure build up.

now i want to sit it in the back of the cabinet.
let it age.

at this point, is their anything i need to do to it.
it has additives,

pasteurize ?

If it has cleared totally and you added meta then it should be fine! All you need to do is to lean the bottles on their side to keep wine in contact with the corks to keep them hydrated and not dry out! I don't think you should pasteurize as long as your bottle and corks are clean keeping the wine clean too

Missing a lot of info. Carboy or bottle? What kind of wine? Did you add any sulfite? Clearing agents? What does ferment done mean? Have you racked at all?

What kind of wine, and what additives did you use already, what is the SG? Needs more info to help you...

From the sounds of it he is wanting to bulk age in the carboy?

Without more details as the others have said it is hard to say. One thing to watch for is the level that the liquid is at in the carboy. You are going to want to have as little head space as possible to keep from oxidizing.

Just thinking that unless you are certain that ALL fermentation is done, capping off without a airlock could cause serious issues - blowing up that carboy or whatever you are using for storage. I think it's going to take just keeping an airlock in place and monitoring it every couple of weeks. If your using the typical plastic airlock and for weeks you don't see any rise or fall of the inner air trap you might be safe, or you might be missing it's slow percolation. Patience is important but so is a little preventative action and monitoring the aging wine.

Back