Store picked grapes on the way home

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So after pressing the chardonel grapes - i ended up with about 18 gallons of juice!! about 3-4 more gallons that i intended on - they were juicy grapes.

I guess i will buy a 3 gallon carboy now!!

They are a juicy grape. You will lose some along the way after fermentation and then at subsequent rackings. You might want to get a couple gallon jugs also. Then you will have all the sizes to keep them all topped up properly after fermentation settles down.

The SG was 1.099 and the Acid level was.80.

And this morning the chardonel is fermenting away!!!

Smells great too!!

Last edited:
Oh Wow, you were off 5 degrees- shame on you.:slp

It was 79.7 for a high here Saturday. How do we put up with this horrible weather?:i

Hey if i was a meteorologist i was in my margin of error :h

Llabor day weekend is going to be b-e-a-utiful here in STL.

Hey if i was a meteorologist i was in my margin of error :h

Llabor day weekend is going to be b-e-a-utiful here in STL.

sounds great! i'm ready... i think, lol. i've bought three 10 gallon totes. how many # do u think will go in a 10 gallon tote?
i'm still not ready/decided on how to press these. need to make a decision tonight. i've asked at work (in the cafeteria) if they have any buckets. they're supposed to get back to me tomorrow. i just can't seem to find the right bucket to purchase.

sounds great! i'm ready... i think, lol. i've bought three 10 gallon totes. how many # do u think will go in a 10 gallon tote?
i'm still not ready/decided on how to press these. need to make a decision tonight. i've asked at work (in the cafeteria) if they have any buckets. they're supposed to get back to me tomorrow. i just can't seem to find the right bucket to purchase.

I got 275 #'s in 4 - 18 gallon totes - roughly about 65 - 70 #'s in each tote.
Luc had an article about making a press using a 5 gallon and a 3 gallon bucket.

The 5 gallon had holes in the bottom - put the fruit in the 5 gallon - and the 3 gallon went on top and pushed down.

Last edited:
I got 275 #'s in 4 18 gallon totes - roughly about 65 - 70 #'s in each tote.
Luc had an article about making a press using a 5 gallon and a 3 gallon bucket.

The 5 gallon had holes in the bottom - put the fruit in the 5 gallon - and the 3 gallon went on top and pushed down.

so approx. 34 # per tote for me?
rough math estimate, lol
luc's bucket method is what i'm looking into, just can't find the right bucket:(

so approx. 34 # per tote for me?
rough math estimate, lol
luc's bucket method is what i'm looking into, just can't find the right bucket:(

Yeah - if you divide my total pounds by gallon container - 65/18 = 3.6.

Roughly i got 3.6 #'s per gallon in the container.

Multiply that by your container - 10 * 3.6 = 36.

So 34 #'s per container is a safe bet.

Do you have a crusher?

awesome pics jon! can't wait to put my own on here! if sis in law doesn't go, i promise me and neice will takes pics of each other!
i just got my acid test kit in yesterday. i STILL don't have my buckets ready, but i've got another idea brewing in my head, lol. will keep posted.

Back