Storage Shed

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GerardVineyard

Reaction score
I have no basement, spare bedroom, closet or garage to make into a "wine cellar". What other types of areas do other people use?

I considered building a small storage shed, like ones used to store your lawn/ garden tools, but need to consider cooling options. Could I use a small window air conditioner? Should I build on a concrete slab or elevate for air circulation. I live in the middle of the woods, so keeping it in the shade is not a problem. Then again I live in Northern MI, so I will need a heating option as well during the winter to prevent everything from freezing.

Digging a hole and putting in a root cellar type structure may be an option also.

Thanks

I have no basement, spare bedroom, closet or garage to make into a "wine cellar". What other types of areas do other people use?

I considered building a small storage shed, like ones used to store your lawn/ garden tools, but need to consider cooling options. Could I use a small window air conditioner? Should I build on a concrete slab or elevate for air circulation. I live in the middle of the woods, so keeping it in the shade is not a problem. Then again I live in Northern MI, so I will need a heating option as well during the winter to prevent everything from freezing.

Digging a hole and putting in a root cellar type structure may be an option also.

Thanks

Make the wine in the shed and maybe store it in the house. Storing it in the shed will be expensive in the long run, unless you do go underground. You are going to need access to water and a way to drain what you clean. You may be able to do the "wet" work in your kitchen, then carry the filled fermentor/carboy out to the shed. You will need to control the temperature; it will need to be fairly constant.

Latest posts

Back