Stopped blew off while aging wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was finalizing my aging and realized that my stopper blew off. Yeast is still a bit active so there is some pressure. The zip tie I was using to hold the stopper down got misaligned and stopper came off. I am not sure how long the wine has been sitting with out a cap. Looking at the wine there was not mold that i could see. Is this batch ruined or can i continue to age and monitor?

In my opinion, your wine is fine. With continued yeast activity there's enough CO2 protecting the wine from its mortal enemy, oxygen. Even without yeast activity, there's enough CO2 dissipating from a carboy to provide the same barrier for a while especially knowing your stopper blew off.

I've had that heart stopping activity a few times myself...

I agree with @crushday.

The zip tie I was using to hold the stopper down got misaligned and stopper came off.
Why was the stopper ziptied down? You do NOT want a glass container not designed to handle pressure, e.g., beer or champagne bottle, subjected to pressure. If the pressure exceeds the container's strength, it can explode.

EDIT: I mean that beer & champagne bottles are designed to withstand pressure -- other containers are not.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back