Stop Fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jamesngalveston said:
to stop a fermentation add alcohol. will stop it dead in its tracks.

But then you no longer have wine, you have fortified wine. It may not be balanced.

It's difficult to stop an active fermentation. Another possibility us to chill it down very cold. You will have yo keep it cold until it is clear and rack it cold. Once it's very clear you could try to stabilize it.

Or you could heat it up to pasteurize it and kill the yeast. But that may dramatically affect the flavor.

Cold crashing is the way as what greg said, not so2, not potassium sorbate! Why do ya wanna stop, residual sugar? After cold crashing you could sorbate and sulfite of course

I was preparing the wine for bottling and I was told to add Sorbate to stop fermentation. Not even sure why.

I was preparing the wine for bottling and I was told to add Sorbate to stop fermentation. Not even sure why.

Maybe you added some sweetener and you got advise to add some sorbate to insure that you don't kick off another fermentation? I know that commercial sweetener/ wine conditioner have sorbate added to the product.

flafemina, most people add sorbate and campden before adding sugar, to stop a renewed fermentation from the sugar.
the clearer the wine, the less chance of refermentation
the higher the abc the less chance of referment.
adding sorbate the chance is even less.
usually sorbate is mixed with the campden and a little wine and disolved then added to wine.

Ah, I think people misunderstood your question thinking you have an active fermentation going that you wanted to stop before it was finished.

I presume your wine was done fermenting and you have aged and cleared it.

If you are not going to add any sugar to the wine you do not need to use potassium sorbate (also known as stabilizer). You will need to add k-meta for bacterial protection. IF you want to sweeten the wine you will need to add both k-meta and sorbate.

Latest posts

Back