Stirring Tool Recommendations

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeycannoli

Reaction score
What does everyone use for stirring lees and mixing in additives, especially in larger tanks. Have a few 36” tall stainless steel tanks and most options I see out there are less than 2’ in length. Can anyone recommend something?

What does everyone use for stirring lees and mixing in additives, especially in larger tanks. Have a few 36” tall stainless steel tanks and most options I see out there are less than 2’ in length. Can anyone recommend something?

I had a couple of the short SS versions and couldn’t find a longer one. Bought a 3/8” x 48” SS rod, drilled a hole in the bottom, and moved the paddles and plastic tube from the short one to the long rod. Done.

I find that many of the tools used in institutional kitchens work really well for larger batches. I use a king size tater masher to crush fruit. Here's a stir paddle that looks to me like it would work just fine.

https://www.amazon.com/d/Health-Hou...qid=1541551559&sr=8-6&keywords=paddle+stirrer

I use one of them for stirring up must. Before I was using our old canoe oar! It worked great too. And then used it last summer canoeing! Lol
But for lees in a 3’ tank? I don’t see why any pole or paddle wouldn’t work.
Lees in those big barrels is when it gets interesting. You ever see those badass old school chain things they use?

Latest posts

Back