stinky peaches

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When doing fruit wine it's best to but the fruit in a straining bag (5gal paint straining bag @ HD)

Tom, they are in a bag, but some pulp has snuck out. maybe too vigorous stirring? i try to squish them some when i stir. this is the same bag i used for the blueberries, but i did wash it thoroughly and used sanitizer on it. i won't use it again after this, though, pewweee

:us.g. 1.020. i've pulled the bag. i did squeeze it some, but not vigorously. when i airlocked the action was quick and vigorous. much different than the kit and the blueberry. with the peaches gone, the smell is MUCH better. thank you, thank you. the must is cloudy but i'm sure that's normal at this point? thanks everyone for help and advice.

U R on your way.
Todat I racked my 21 gallons of peach and added a huge f-pac (from concentrated 2-1 steam juice) to them.

U R on your way.
Todat I racked my 21 gallons of peach and added a huge f-pac (from concentrated 2-1 steam juice) to them.
did you use fresh or frozen peaches?
i'm studying up on the f-pac's. using the search function, etc.
thank you for the f-pac sticky, too, all the sticky's are so helpful.

this time150#'s of fresh Peaches. Then I steam juiced 60#'s and used 11 quarts simmered that down to 4 1/2 quarts for a f-pac

tom, i may have to pick your brain later about the steam juicing...
today, the stink in the house is mostly gone, the airlock was bubbling away. i did open to stir and it StILL stinks inside. not horrible, but reminiscent of the BIG stink...the foam initially was "delicate" (for lack of a better word) and now is frothy/foamy. the taste seems to be going AWAY from the peach. still tastes ok, still can taste the alcohol, but less peachy. there is also alot of moisture on the underside of the pail lid. is this condensation diluting? should i leave the lid on and quit stirring?

Hi Rica,

What is your reading? I'm thinking you might be ready for a carboy.

0.992!!!
just checked.
i want to put it back in this bucket for secondary (it's a five gallon batch). i can rack to my 2 gallon and 1 gallons (i have 2 of those) jugs and then back to this bucket after cleaning and sanitizing, correct?
thanks julie

yeah - keep the airlock on still.

Also make sure your other containers are cleaned and sanitized.

Yep normal. Now you.. not sure.. LOL
Relax seem all is good. Have a glass or 2 of .....

Yep normal. Now you.. not sure.. LOL
Relax seem all is good. Have a glass or 2 of .....

tom, do i know you? you sure seem to know me, lol.
i've already had 2 glasses of strawberry sangria...
AND
my sister in law just told me my utility room looked like a meth lab, roflmao

Good thing I know thw Police Chief. Was talking to him last week saying my desk looks like a coke dealer. I explained all the "white" powder is meta, sorbate, pectic enzyme, calcium carbonate, nutrient, sparkolloid and who know what else..
But no drugs..

when i rack in 30 days, will i be granted/blessed with any clearing...any at all?
:tz

After you let it go dry .990. Will you be adding a f-pac (recommended)?
I always add a f-pac on all fruit wines. So, rack from secondary add meta, sorbate mix well, then add f-pac mix well and add clearing agent (suggested).

After you let it go dry .990. Will you be adding a f-pac (recommended)?
I always add a f-pac on all fruit wines. So, rack from secondary add meta, sorbate mix well, then add f-pac mix well and add clearing agent (suggested).

I think it will need an f-pac
(just think, until i came to this site, i didn't even know what an f-pac was and that was after reading up on other sites and reading some books, lol)
i haven't read up much on clearing agents. i just got my sorbate in, so i'm ready for that. i've seen mention of sparkoloid, etc. just gotta do more homework.
thanks for holding my hand thru this tom. :hug
it's been much more anxiety producing than the blueberry, lol

cool! I think I'm the 1st one promoting the f-pac here. I make one for every fruit wine I make.
Huge different
Enjoy the OBSESSION!

i'm lucky to live in an area where fruit is available when in season. i have a friend whose peaches are coming in strong now, so i'll have plenty for the f-pac. i've noticed there are several different kinds of clearing agents. i would love to hear about experiences with any of these. thanks again tom

Back