Stinky mango must

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beano

Regular Guy
Reaction score
Hey Ya'll,

I have a question, possibly dumb, but a must ask ! Wife and I recently tried some mango's and thought... wow, make a good wine. So we bought about enough to wind up with about 5 lbs. of friut after we peeled and gutted the rascals. Put it into a bag and into the fermenter and added what we thought we needed and let it rest overnite. Added yeast starter next day and it took right off, bubbling and all seemed well. Next day....WhoooHooo!! The stink that was coming off that stuff was unbearable. (in the kitchen)
The question is, is this normal for the mango? Or did it become infected with ???
Your opinion, observations, knowledge, experience if you can give me some insight. We used a Jack keller recipe. Wife made me throw it out.

Joe

what was it that you thought you needed? did you add some k-meta. Footnote, when I did my mango the smell was not too pretty while fermenting ;)

I used 50 lbs last year for a 3 gallon batch...and it did not smell bad at all until it was almost dry. then there was an odor...after i racked it off the lees it smelled just fine.

That was probably just the smell of mangoes fermenting.. Not all fermentations smell... inviting? My family likens fermenting peaches to a puke-smell.. And the time I fermented green tomatoes, I dont even wanna talk about :)

The smells are perceived differently from everyone - some people love certain fermenting smells, while others run from the room gagging over the same batch.

Yeast strains have an impact on the fermentation smells as well.. W-15 is one of my favorite yeasts, because the smell during fermentation is enough to keep me drooling

I was just going to say what Manley did. If you're new to wine making and not used to the smells of some fermentations it could smell pretty off to you. lol In time you'll learn to love it!!

I currently have 30 pounds of mangos fermenting, it's almost dry now and it smells terrific! At least it smells better than the batch of Kimchi fermenting beside it!

Don't forget a good nutrient management procedure. Oftentimes, stinky ferments can be due to lack of nutrient. Split the nutrient dose into 2 batches--pitch the first with the yeast and the second dose before the 50% dry mark. Wine is a poor source of nutrient for the yeast.

Our peach ferment fills the winery with the smell of peaches!! It has never had an off aroma.

Latest posts

Back