Mango Wine - fermentation stuck

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HB_in_Subic

Reaction score
I am trying to fix a batch of mango wine that I made with fresh fruit on 12/23. It took a couple of days before I had fermentation (using EC 1118). I made a bunch of mistakes (I jumped in without really grasping what really needs to be done). I have already stabilized it with KMeta and Potassium Sorbate (at day 58). It tastes too sweet for the Mrs and my hydrometer is broke (I won't have a replacement for a couple of weeks). I do have about a cupful of untreated wine in the refrigerator that we used for tasting. The wife liked the level of sweetness of Day39s sample but I topped it off that day with some Moscato. She thinks that the Moscato threw the taste off.

My question is, once I confirm the gravity is above 1.03 (in a couple of weeks), can I add more yeast (EC 1118) to get fermenting going again?

Or should I just make another batch and using better methods (like in DangerDave's Dragon wine), get it fermented to dry and blend with the treated wine?

This is my first batch of wine and I want to salvage it. I have done a ton of reading here since I started this batch and am confident that I can get it right the next time.

If its stabilized, you're probably better off with the blending option. I myself, am not a big fan of the DB craze, and prefer bolder flavored/bodied wines.. but it generally requires more fruit. The important thing here is probably going to be the balancing of the acidity pre-fermentation.. Do you have a titretable acidity test kit or a pH meter? They both worth investing in, no matter which wine making methodology you prefer to follow.

You'll need to identify the approximate SG level that you enjoy it at, as well as measure the acidity. Then you can work a bit backwards using a Pearson's Square to determine the sugar and acidity levels you'd need in the new batch, and the calculations will also help you with an approximate volume needed, so that the final blend is in the ballpark you're aiming for/enjoy.

Thanks for the reply. That is what I figured was going to be the recommendation (blending). I am going to locate a acidity test kit (maybe at a pool supplier?) before I start the next batch.

In regards to the DB, it was more about the process, campden tablets (wait 24-48 hours), yeast starter using the must, incremental nutrient additions, daily stirring and such that I didn't do. I am also considering to let my next batch sit in the ambient temperature (70-85F). I am also going to do it right and use bucket with a tshirt over it.

Are there any best practices or things to avoid when blending?

Last night I blended the two batches. Batch #1 was at 0.992, #2 @ 1.04! I did a test blend in a glass of 2:1 (dry to sweet) and once the wife approved the taste, took a gravity reading. I then transferred the dry wine into the bottling bucket, followed by the sweet wine until it was at the proper gravity (1.013). The wife and friends enjoyed it very much. It is a very light, semi-sweet, clear, without any alcohol taste. It is however, a high ABV wine of 10.5%ABV.

Thanks for the help!

Mango Wine.jpg

Latest posts

Back