Still Trying To Find Out- How Many Campden Tablets?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

critterhunter

Reaction score
I'm still trying to find some solid advice on this. We are making about 6.5 gallons of pear wine and put in three tablets in the primary. With each racking since then (5 total so far) we have put in one tablet. I could use some advice on this- How many tablets per gallon go into the primary and then how many of them per racking? Also, should we add some again when bottling and how much? Thanks.

I typically will add 1 C-tab per gallon in the primary. No addition when racking to secondary, then 1 tab per gallon on next racking and every second racking thereafter; however, this may vary if the intervals between racking are unusually short or long.

Yeah - 1 tablet per gallon. Once fermentation is complete rack and add the sulfites in. Then every 3-4 months re-add.

IMO - i would switch to the k-meta powder form - it is much easier to measure and dissolve.

Thanks critterhunter for asking, as I was wondering as well. I wanted to stabalize a 5 gallon carboy of wine and stop the fermentation process, so added 2.5 tsp of potassium sorbate and one campden tablet per my suppliers advice. He must've meant one campden tablet per gallon. The 2.5 of potassium sorbate I know I got correct, as he said 0.5 tsp. per gallon.
zack

When adding k-meta I find that the easiest way is to mix up a solution with water and store it in a small bottle that does not have a metal lid.
Take 8 ounces of water and mix in 2 1/2 teaspoons of k-meta powder. At this concentration one teaspoon of this mixture is equal to one campden tablet.

Last edited:
Thanks critterhunter for asking, as I was wondering as well. I wanted to stabalize a 5 gallon carboy of wine and stop the fermentation process, so added 2.5 tsp of potassium sorbate and one campden tablet per my suppliers advice. He must've meant one campden tablet per gallon. The 2.5 of potassium sorbate I know I got correct, as he said 0.5 tsp. per gallon.
zack

Keep in mind - sorbate does not stop an active fermentation - it prevents renewed fermentation.

When adding k-meta I find that the easiest way is to mix up a solution with water and store it in a small bottle that does not have a metal lid.
Take 4 ounces of water and mix in 2 1/2 teaspoons of k-meta powder. At this concentration one teaspoon of this mixture is equal to one campden tablet.

I do something similar. 2 tsp k-meta in 20oz of water. Sulfite additions are 15cc of this solution.

This is the same rate as 1/4 tsp in 5g

All the instructions I've read say 1 tab per gallon. However, I've come across different tablets that say 1 tab contributes 50ppm/gal, 78ppm/gal, and 150ppm gal. So who knows. I think it's best to find out how much concentration 1 tablet of what you've got will bring the SO2 level to in one gallon, then throw in enough to get to 50ppm/gal. I've switched to the powder to avoid the confusion... plus you get more bang for you buck with the powder - and you don't have to grind it up. Good luck.

I do something similar. 2 tsp k-meta in 20oz of water. Sulfite additions are 15cc of this solution.

This is the same rate as 1/4 tsp in 5g

Bob, I checked out the math to see if your formula works out to the same as mine and I found that yours works out perfectly to 1/4 tsp per 5 gal.
Mine on the other hand was actually twice the recommended value. I got this information from a fact sheet that I received at a wine making store and took the information at face value without verifying the numbers. I have edited my first response to use twice as much water.
I used this solution for my last two batches so I don't think that I will be adding any more k-meta to them.
Thanks for cluing me in on my mistake.

Bob, I checked out the math to see if your formula works out to the same as mine and I found that yours works out perfectly to 1/4 tsp per 5 gal.
Mine on the other hand was actually twice the recommended value. I got this information from a fact sheet that I received at a wine making store and took the information at face value without verifying the numbers. I have edited my first response to use twice as much water.
I used this solution for my last two batches so I don't think that I will be adding any more k-meta to them.
Thanks for cluing me in on my mistake.

You're welcome. Some folks use a higher concentration with smaller doses, but I like this ratio b/c it's easy to measure out for top-up bottles as well.

So if I throw 7 tablets in a 7 gallon primary, and then 1 tablet in at every racking, do you think that will be OK? I'd like to stick with the tablets for now since I'm just getting into wine making. If anybody can give me a clear "this many" for the primary and "this many" for each racking that would do nicely for now.

So if I throw 7 tablets in a 7 gallon primary, and then 1 tablet in at every racking, do you think that will be OK? I'd like to stick with the tablets for now since I'm just getting into wine making. If anybody can give me a clear "this many" for the primary and "this many" for each racking that would do nicely for now.

What you ask for is really not out there... you might consider getting a test kit for sulphite.

7 crushed tabs in the primary (1 tab per gallon) is OK, but not sure what you mean by "1 tablet at every racking" -- do you mean 1 tablet per gallon?

Beyond the primary stage requires some judgement based (primarily) on interval -- if you're racking every 30-60 days, adding sulphite at each racking is too much. If you're racking after 6(+) months, then yes, I would add 1 tab per gallon.

I will be adding to the tutorials soon how to do a titration test. This will allow you to determine your sulfite levels in your wine.

Typically is 1 camden per gallon at beginning. 1/4 teaspoon at racking to secondary and a pinch later. Beyond that you would only want to add minute amounts.

Sulfite (when added to a liquid) splits in two. Half free sulfite and hald bound sulfite. The bound sulfite is what clings to the oxygen molecules preventing oxidation. When there is more bound sulfite than oxygen that is when you begin to get the sulfer smell.

Use clean and sanitary bottles, equipment, juice etc and you will be fine.

So is campden tablets more of a prevenative thing in terms of the wine going south from bacteria and such. I mean, I talked to a friend who says he never does anything but throw yeast and sugar into his wine he makes.

So is campden tablets more of a prevenative thing in terms of the wine going south from bacteria and such. I mean, I talked to a friend who says he never does anything but throw yeast and sugar into his wine he makes.

That is correct - there are folks on here that do not use sulphites with their wine. You can make perfectly good wine without it - I just don't take that chance - a lot of time goes into this for it to go south in the later months.

There is bacteria on everything. Some good and some bad. You can have success by just tossing in yeast. Fruit that was frozen will have little if any so you would be ok there, but on the skins and small cuts in fruit bacteria await.

By adding warmth and sugar you are making a perfect environment for bacteria to breed.

To prevent youe investment from going bad (unless you are alergic to sulfite) you should add camden tablets or the equilevant of Pot. Meta. to your must. This will kill and hinder bacteria and wild yeasts from starting right away. Upon the addition of your commercial yeast it will begin to multiply as they are more tol

rant of sulfite. By the time the bad bacteria can start the alcohol will hinder their growth and the commercial yeast will be overwelming to them.

Some of the things we do to make wine can be skipped but you are just awaiting problems.

OK then, so I would then figure that if I go 1 per gallon in the primary and then just 1 tablet per racking (not 1 per gallon) every time I rack it, then I should probably be lowering my risk of the wine going bad from bacteria or oxidizing, yet not risking over doing it either?

Latest posts

Back