Still Trying To Find Out- How Many Campden Tablets?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK then, so I would then figure that if I go 1 per gallon in the primary and then just 1 tablet per racking (not 1 per gallon) every time I rack it, then I should probably be lowering my risk of the wine going bad from bacteria or oxidizing, yet not risking over doing it either?

I suppose it would depend to some degree on frequency of racking, but I doubt that 1 tablet in a 5 or 6-gallon batch would really do anything towards protecting the wine, even if you racked every month.

Perhaps someone here has done some bench testing(?)

I don't understannd why you are hell bent to add 1 tab everytime you rack X 6times? I'm betting your wine will be oxidixed and leaving to much behind. That means after 6 months you will only have 1/2 the meta needed
Just add 6 crushed tabs after it dry and forget the rest. If using powder 1/4 tsp will do 6 gallons. Both methods will protect your wine for 3 monts aging then repeat.

I'm not hell bent on only using one tablet per racking at all. I'm just asking how many I need to use. So far I've got the primary info down I think. 1 tablet per gallon, right. OK, fine, but I'm still wondering how many tablets per racking based on a per gallon dosage. That's all I want to know here if anybody can help. Like I said, power dosages do nothing for me because I plan to stick with the tablets for now until I use my supply of them up, then later I might try the powder stuff.

I'm not hell bent on only using one tablet per racking at all. I'm just asking how many I need to use. So far I've got the primary info down I think. 1 tablet per gallon, right. OK, fine, but I'm still wondering how many tablets per racking based on a per gallon dosage. That's all I want to know here if anybody can help. Like I said, power dosages do nothing for me because I plan to stick with the tablets for now until I use my supply of them up, then later I might try the powder stuff.

1 tablet per gallon every 3 months or so after the batch is fermented dry.

Add one tab per gallon at every other racking. If it's been 3 months since your last racking, add 1 tab per gallon.

Here's a quote from Jack Kellar's site:

“If you add Campden or pot meta at the time of the 1st racking, add it again at the 3rd and 5th rackings and before bottling (when stabilizing the wine). This should be done whether the recipe mentions it or not.”

Here's an illustration of how that instruction could be applied:

Primary -- 1 tablet per gallon
Rack to Secondary -- no addition
Rack after 90 days -- 1 tablet per gallon
Rack after 90 days -- no addition
Rack after 90 days -- 1 tablet per gallon
(repeat as needed...)

Jack's a widely respected source, but even his instructions cannot be followed blindly -- e.g., if for some reason you have to rack at 30-day intervals, following this and adding 1 tablet per gallon will over-sulphite the wine.

OK guys.
Now what the time for you from BEGINING to END?
I like others age our wines at least one year. So, if you only do it at the begining and end you will gave a big chance the end is just that ended with oxidized wine. You need to keep up the sulfites in any wine.
Now if you are talking about a 30 day kit wine thats another story.

Last edited:
OK guys.
Now what the time for you from BEGINING to END?
I like others age our wines at least one year. So, if you only do it at the begining and end you will gave a big chance the end is just that ended with oxidized wine. You need to keep up the sulfites in any wine.
Now if you are talking about a 30 day kit wine thats another story.

Well Tom I put them in, in the beginning of fermentation and then I usually rack a couple of times 2-3 and the last rack before I bottle I add some more. I do have one bulk aging that I will add more to as time goes on but since I use Super-Kleer I do not have to rack so many times therfore I don't add any in between.. I am still learning and would appreciate any input but fro what I have read here so far I hope I am good??????

Now you have racked off the primary. Once your wine goes dry in the secondary .990 then you add 1 tab per gallon. Then you can start the clearing stages. You add your clearing agent. Now, in spite of what you hear wait 2-3 weeks till you have a firm amt of sediment before you rack. Now 90 days from your 2 tab after the wine is dry add 2 more tabs. I'm not saying you need to rack once a month or whatever. Rather keep up the meta. So, if another 90 days go by before bottling then add 2 more tabs.
You will also need to degass your wine before adding any clearing stuff. Have you done that yet? Do you have a degasser?

Last couple batches ive done have just been 5-6 months before bottling so i just do the initial and then again before bottling. They have all turned out wonderful. Haven't done any worth aging yet but when i do id go with the every 3 month. I do not use clearing agents in my wine. only did one kit, (pinot gris) The other 2 batches were Apfelwein. Now my peach ill probly age for a little longer.

Latest posts

Back