WineXpert Still a rookie.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slingshot

Reaction score
I bottled my VR riesling on friday. Today when I went to lay the bottles down I noticed some very fine sediment in some of the bottles. You really gotta look for it but it's there.I racked from the carboy into the primary and bottled from there. I even stopped the siphon early so I wouldn't stur up sediment. I waited 15 days after stabilizing and it looked really clear. But I'm still a rookie. I could have just waited longer before bottling or I could have racked into another carboy and waited. Well the other carboy is busy at the moment and I'm still a rookieandhad to bottle it. With a couple kits in the wine rack now I my be a little more patient with the 2 more I have going.
smiley36.gif

Racking and waiting is the best method to rid the sediment in bottle
for sure. If theres nothing to hinder the operation then your 1 step
ahead of the game!
smiley2.gif

We bottled our first batch this weekend (VR Pinot Noir). All clear except for the last 2 bottles, which will be used for topping off future batches. We racked directly from the carboy using the auto-siphon and the bottling wand and it worked perfectly. We did not loose the siphon once (although I did add some insurance by putting some electrical tape onthe edge of the tubing where it attaches to the racking cane).

GrapeApe

I always use a bread tie twisty and tighten with a pair of pliers but
have to get myself to a autoparts store and get a fuel injection clamp
as these are made to tighten more evenly because of the extra pressure
in the fuel lines.

I haven't had any problem with racking. I use the auto-siphon and bottling wand. I run the end of the hose under really hot water to soften it and it goes on alot easier. As it cools it tightens on the racking cane and bottle wand. I've never lost siphon.I just thought I was so careful it suprised me to see it settle like that. I really think I should have just waited longer before bottling. Edited by: Slingshot

I agree with the longer waiting. I also rack an additional time to make sure any sediment is left behind. Always seems while racking that the auto siphon end moves about some as well as tipping the carboy to make sure i get as much wine as possible. Just bottled my Symphony and there still was a tiny hint of sediment at the bottom after aging for almost 1 1/2 months and I didn't see it until the racking to the bottling bucket was almost done. Edited by: docbee

Latest posts

Back