Stick a fork in Winter, its over in the SW

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No snow in sight. Ski hill is closed due to lack of snow. We are 10-15 degrees above normal average temps for this time of year……
Watched a news report about the lack of water in CA this Winter. They were showing fields of dirt that should be planted in Strawberries, Cantelopes etc. No water to be had. The farmer was using what little water he had to keep his Almond trees alive….

Screen Shot 2014-02-22 at 7.12.48 AM.png

Late in the day here and we have a large flock of Carolyn's geese getting ready to settle in for the night. More keep arriving and we are getting a corn field full of them. Amazing how they blend in with the corn stalks. Hard to tell if it's a goose neck, or a corn stalk. They are loud, so I don't know if that means that they are happy, or HONKED off.

IMG_1975.jpg

Late in the day here and we have a large flock of Carolyn's geese getting ready to settle in for the night. More keep arriving and we are getting a corn field full of them. Amazing how they blend in with the corn stalks. Hard to tell if it's a goose neck, or a corn stalk. They are loud, so I don't know if that means that they are happy, or HONKED off.

Just honky! Lol

Carolyn

Carolyn,

On Friday, large flocks of your geese were on the way north. There were so many that it looked like the flying monkey scene from the old Wizard of OZ movie. Yesterday though, I got see a rarity.....well at least for me, since I have never seen it before. A flock of Greater White-Fronted Geese where out in the corn field. There was a flock of Canadians in the field, so I didn't give this other flock much thought until on taking a closer look, I noticed that they had orange legs, feet and beaks. Their rear ends where white, with a little white trim around their wings. They also had a small patch of white on their face. They were too far out in the field to get a good close up shot of them. The Canadians were sure on alert and they didn't know what to think of this flock. Well anyway, they are headed north too. Don't know where they will all end up since it sounds like things are still frozen over up your way and the temperatures are still extremely cold. I only hope that they are better weather predictors than the groundhog. Oh by the way, I strapped a small bottle of wine to one of the Canadians leg, so when you see it, that is your bottle.

IMG_1976.jpg

Hey Bob! Thanks for sharing that! Those geese almost look like African or Chinese geese. Those are very nice looking. I'd be interested to see some of those up close!

I'll cross my fingers that the goose with the wine stops at my pond! Thanks for sharing :-D the wine goose! Hmm maybe that's a better way for us CDNS & AMERICANS to swap our wines instead of using the postal service!

Carolyn

Well it has been snowing since 4 am with no end in sight. bout 2" so far.

Its been raining/drizzling off and on all day and night since Friday evening. We are escaping the arctic cold again but just barely. Right now its 45 and gray and dreary. We have not gotten the rain that CA got. Only about 3/10" of an inch total but its better than nothing. Looks like the entire midwest is getting slammed today and then its moving East. Good day to stay inside and watch movies in prep for Oscar night LOL

Yeah, we picked up a couple of inches of snow over night and we should get a little more by this evening. This is REALLY getting old now. Our normal high temperature should be in the mid-40's with our lows being in the low 30's. Here it is 12 noon and we have a temperature of 11 with a high expected to be 13. Low tonight is 2 and the high for tomorrow is 14. I was ready to start pruning when I seen Carolyn's geese heading north, but now, spring is no where to be found. Beats me on where all of these geese are headed. I guess that they could stay at a Holiday Inn Express.

40 and raining here. It was pushing 60 a couple hours ago. It will change to snow tonight, leaving us 6-12 inches total accumulation before it's done tomorrow afternoon.

Well I think spring's spring has sprung or at least broken. It is still colder here than a Witch's, well you know.............. -10F here this AM and -26F in Saranc Lake a bit to our southwest. Will it ever warm up? Dang that global warming.............

Ya whatever!! It went down to -28c last night and now the maple syrup producers are worried it's going to be a bad year for that. It's just so cold! It's supposed to get up to 1 or 2 tomorrow. I'll believe it when I see it!

Carolyn

Spring has hit North Dakota! It was above freezing! 36 degrees. That means, pull out the shorts!!!

1921947_10100399596357829_1969093213_n.jpg

It was a relatively warm weekend this week. It got over 50* on Saturday. I'm not counting on it staying that way though. At least 90% of my driveway "glacier" melted this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Go figure as soon as I posted this it started to flurry outside...we can't win.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Latest posts

Back