stems or stalks

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattlait

Junior
Reaction score
Hi. I was given over 45kg of small very sweet home grown grapes. A quick sg after I squashed a handfull was 1.050 but how many of the stems should I take our or for that matter leave in. ........ ill be aiming to do half the amount as a red wine and half white.....
Also will a potato masher be ok for squashing the life giving juice out of them.

Matt

take all stems out they add to much tannin. for white need to press the grapes, let juice sit for a day in cool place until all gunk has settled. rack and ferment. for red wine ferment on skins. you will need to add sugar to both to get sg=1.092.

Cheers sal..... now as both a newbee kit wine maker and a first time grape wine maker (I've done a few country wines tho) how long do I let the red wine sit on the skins for...... I've aprox 20ltr of wine with about a 2.5 inch cap of skins which I push down twice a day.
Thanks
Matt

Cheers sal..... now as both a newbee kit wine maker and a first time grape wine maker (I've done a few country wines tho) how long do I let the red wine sit on the skins for...... I've aprox 20ltr of wine with about a 2.5 inch cap of skins which I push down twice a day.
Thanks
Matt

Matt,

It all depends on the amount of body, color, and tannins you want from your wine. I like it rather hardy, so I will leave it sit on the skins for a minimum of 5 days.

Cheers johnt and saddlebronze...... I hope i get this lot right as half the bottles are for the grape grower and then I get free grapes every year

Latest posts

Back