Steam Juicing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chopper

Reaction score
I’ve been thinking about trying “steam juicing” to extract fruit juice for winemaking. I’d be interested in using this method for strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, and elderberries.
<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
My main motivation for doing this is to eliminate the clumsiness and measurement inaccuracies associated with having a straining bag, containing raw pulp, present in the primary fermenter.

Will the high heat involved in steam juicing compromise the flavor or texture of any of the fruits listed above (I’ve read that it won’t extract tannins very well, which will help some wines but hurt others). If so, has anybody given thought to a “two-stage” method: first, hand-crush the fruit and strain the juice; then steam juice the remaining pulp.

There are two main models of stainless steel steam juicers on the market. One is the “Mehu-Liisa” ($200 shipped). Its direct competitor is the “Back to Basics N12” ($120 shipped). I’m only interested in stainless steel. Does anybody have opinions on either of these models?

Thanks in advance,

Chopper

Chopper, several folks on this board have had great success with this process. While I don't consider myself a winemaking expert, I am convinced that the wines I have made steam-juicing versus traditional wine-making procedures are much better. Comparisons I have made are blackberry, apple, pear and cranberry.

As to the steam juicer models available, I am very happy with my Mehu-Liisa. If you are thorough in your research, you may find this product available for far less than $200.

I hope you find this helpful.

An ancient Back to Basics Stainless steel model has served me well for over 20 years of juice making...The new model is heavier and would serve you as well as the more expensive models. There is another brand that has a glass lid, can't recall the name at the moment...always dangers of breaking a glass lid....at least around me.

In the berry season it is a permanent fixture in the kitchen. I make juices for breakfast drinking as well as for wine, syrups and jellies....Wouldn't live without one.

You can preserve your juices in mason jars, freeze it or use it right away.

The berries you list should be very rewarding. I freeze my fruits and juice at my convenience...

Apples are very slow, but the juice is syrupy and well worth the time spent...we have an abundance of apples and just put them on to steam, set a timer and then put another batch in... I sometimes throw in some frozen raspberries or rhubarb with the fresh apples....sometimes both for a varied breakfast drink.

I really believe if you have access to any fruits you will enjoy this unit...no matter which one you choose.

Love my back to basics. Easy to use, clean, and maintain. I'm sure the Mehi Liisa is the same, just a little bigger in capacity and price.

I made my first two wines by cold extraction (blackberry &amp; blueberry). I will make them this season by steam juicing them I'm pretty sure I will get better results. I have made 4 batches of wine with the steam juicer (two muscadine grape wines, cranberry, and a cranberry muscadine mix) and I am getting pretty good results from them so far.

You just can't go wrong with either steamer. I have the Mehu-Liisa that I picked up for $110 and it is wonderful. Which ever model you choose it will be well worth the investment.
VPC

Latest posts

Back