Steam Juicers

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barryjo

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Several years ago, I read about the merits of a steam juicer. It seemed like a better way to juice my chokecherries and nanking cherries. So I bought one. I juiced several batches of chokecherries and proceeded to make my wine. However, the wine didn't want to clear. So 2 years and at least 5 rackings later, I still had "dust" and floaters in the wine. Finings did not help. Also I ran it thru a 5 micron filter which did nothing for it. Did I somehow screw up or is this a normal occurence with a juicer???
Lately, I have been using a Foley Food Mill and the wine clears much better. It takes more manual labor but the tradeoff is worth it.
Any Ideas???
Thanks

Barry did you add any enzymes? Also that is a pretty lose filter at 5 micron. I only filter when wine is free of all debris and use a .45 micron filter. I think most on here use 1 micron. I have not heard of anyone having issues using a steamer before.

Barry did you add any enzymes? Also that is a pretty lose filter at 5 micron. I only filter when wine is free of all debris and use a .45 micron filter. I think most on here use 1 micron. I have not heard of anyone having issues using a steamer before.

I used enzymes. The wine would look clear in the bottle but after it sat for a week, the was sediment floating around. I used Sparkolloid and SuperKleer both. (Not at the same time!)
I thought 1 micron filters were usually used for whites. Also, I recently acquired a half-house filter with both 5 and 1 micron filters. Ran a recent chokecherry thru the 1 micron. Will let sit and see what happens.

When you heat fruit in a steamer you can liberate more pectin than normal, some people add like 50% more pectinase than normal, I always add pectinase anyway, if its needed and you didnt add it you cant fine out pectin or filter it out. You can add some pectinase now and see if it works, a liquid type might work better. I planted some chokecherries and hope they give up some fruit this year. I was also thinking about steaming them. How much fruit are you using for each gallon and do you do anything about the acid levels?

WVMJ

When you heat fruit in a steamer you can liberate more pectin than normal, some people add like 50% more pectinase than normal, I always add pectinase anyway, if its needed and you didnt add it you cant fine out pectin or filter it out. You can add some pectinase now and see if it works, a liquid type might work better. I planted some chokecherries and hope they give up some fruit this year. I was also thinking about steaming them. How much fruit are you using for each gallon and do you do anything about the acid levels?

WVMJ
For about a 4 gallon batch, I used 2 t pectic enzyme. Maybe should kick it up a bit. I use 3-4 lbs friut per gallon. I don't check acid levels. Probably should altho the wine seems to come pretty good.
About raising your own chokecherries. I do it with good success. Providing the birds don't get to them first! I came up with a "bird spray" that seems to work. I simmer a small handful of hot peppers, The hotter the better, some crushed red pepper and some chili pepper in about a quart of water. Cool and strain thru cheesecloth. Put in quart jar. When ready, put several cups juice and 2 gallon water in a hand sprayer. Spray the trees as soon as the birds start feeding. This works for about 2 weeks which is usually enough time for the fruit to really ripen. Respray if it rains.
DO NOT STAND DOWNWIND when spraying!!!!!And be careful while cooking.
You might consider planting some Nanking cherries if that works for your area. They also make a good wine. It comes out a bit more tart.
Now I'm off to get some white grape for candy cane wine and some pomegranate/cherry concentrate for more of that wine.
This hobby is getting to me!:dg

Thanks for the info. Bad new for your spray though, birds dont have the pain receptors for capsaicin, they are responsible for spreading the seeds in the wild. You can add hot peppers to bird feed to keep the squirrels out and in the UK they have a bird feed with hot peppers in it supposedly to help them with vitamins and feather color. Maybe you got something besides birds? We grow hot peppers, this year they were not very hot, possibly due to a lot of rain. WVMJ

:tz:tz
Thanks for the info. Bad new for your spray though, birds dont have the pain receptors for capsaicin, they are responsible for spreading the seeds in the wild. You can add hot peppers to bird feed to keep the squirrels out and in the UK they have a bird feed with hot peppers in it supposedly to help them with vitamins and feather color. Maybe you got something besides birds? We grow hot peppers, this year they were not very hot, possibly due to a lot of rain. WVMJ

Don't tell my robins!!!
And besides, they weren't spreading the seeds in the wild. They were spreading them on my deck!

Latest posts

Back