Steam Juicer yields

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tepe said:
gaudet said:
Use the juice as the water for your f-pack. Adding sugar will bring back a lot of the flavor of the fruit. Then you reduce it over the stove to concentrate the flavor and color. You then add it to your wine to taste. Right Tepe??
Yes but I would add the simple syrup after you add the f-pac.
I think i would just add a quart or 2of steamed juice and not reduce? I guess try it reduced and without reducing.

Good Morning Tepe,

Ok I see what you are saying. The only problem I can see is that you may cloud your wine back up. You would make yourself have to either time clarify or add some fining agents to clear out the fruit debris (if any)

Yes it will. any f-pac will cloud the wine. Thats why I do it early. I usually do it after transfering from the secondary and AFTER I add k-meta and SORBATE. Once you add the f-pac mix well wait a week and THEN add clearing agent.
smiley20.gif

I was wondering about the time line for that. I have noticed that using steamed juice dramatically reduces the time required for clearing. I topped up my first batch of blackberry wine with 1 quart of juice after I stabilized it. I should be racking it soon.

Yea you will also find out 1 qt of juice may not be enough maybe 2 then adding a pint to quart of simple syrup you can see you may have more than 6 gal. Plan accordingly.

I just did my first batch of steam-juiced Nanking Cherries. 12 lbs= 5 1/2 quarts juice. Now the question. Somewhere I read a conversion for recipes that call for X pounds of fruit, then converting to steamed juice.
Cannot find it. Any help would be appreciated. The chokecherries will soon be coming and then the apples, plums and apricots. Gotta get busy!!!!
Thanks

barryjo said:
I just did my first batch of steam-juiced Nanking Cherries. 12 lbs= 5 1/2 quarts juice. Now the question. Somewhere I read a conversion for recipes that call for X pounds of fruit, then converting to steamed juice.
Cannot find it. Any help would be appreciated. The chokecherries will soon be coming and then the apples, plums and apricots. Gotta get busy!!!!
Thanks
After doing some more reading, I think I may have found my answer.
Correct me if I'm wrong. When the recipe calls for X pounds of fruit, steam that amount. The resulting juice will then be the basis for the quantity of wine that you set out to make. Add sufficient water and the other things and away you go! Example." The Recipe for 1 gallon wine calls for 3 pounds fruit. Steam the 3 pounds, and add water to get the required volume."
Hope This explanation is not too confusing.

yep sounds good. But, I sometimes use gallons of juice depending on what fruit wine I am making. Some fruits contain more water than others. If I have extra.. can't hurt.
The biggest thing is dont skimp on fruit. If using Jacks recipe DOUBLE all #'s he lists.
Or, check here 1st.

I hate to admit it but I am probably what is known as a "cookbook" winemaker. I have a reliable book with pretty much all the recipes I need. I use (so far) only locally raised or available fruit. Not much into the fancy whites or reds from kits. Maybe in the future. I did experiment with Krover Nacktarsch and other Moselle wine while in Germany. Not making them. Consuming them!

barryjo said:
I hate to admit it but I am probably what is known as a "cookbook" winemaker. I have a reliable book with pretty much all the recipes I need. I use (so far) only locally raised or available fruit. Not much into the fancy whites or reds from kits. Maybe in the future. I did experiment with Krover Nacktarsch and other Moselle wine while in Germany. Not making them. Consuming them!

Then it's time to

"Think Out Of the Box"

Expand your knowledge

vcasey said:
tepe said:
"Think Out Of the Box"

Expand your knowledge

There are boxes! Where are they?

Think U need to drink more...LOL
That way the alcohol will KILL all the dead brain cells and make MORE room for the smart ones..
smiley36.gif

Latest posts

Back