Steam Juicer yields

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My condolences on your loss Red...

Update: I am on the third and final run of juice. I got a little more than 4 quarts on the second run. So far so good.

Ok finally done, but I really just took my time. I got a final total of 14 quarts.

redderthebetter:ROFLMAO!!!!!!
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif

Gaudet:

You are going to be pleasantly surprised with the blackberry wine made with steam-juiced fruit. I did 2 batches this past year using juice from a little over 6y2 pounds of berries. Both batches were sweetened and one was oaked. Even at their early age they are excellent! Neither have any of the bitterness my earlier blackberry efforts (fermented o whole fruit) had.

I am really looking forward to making it again this time, now that I have 1 whole year of advice and experience. This time I plan to make 12 gallons and at least 3 gallons of blackberry mead.

I know this has nothing to do with winemaking, but redderthebetter's story reminds me of the time I kicked a gallon of paint into the swimming pool! Wife's reaction was about the same as his wife's!!

Speaking of swimming pools - no maybe I won't. Had to do with a vinyl lined 30x15 foot pool, an attic fan poorly balanced by the side of the pool for I have no idea what reason, and "honey, someone let all the water out of our pool last night!!" LOL

At it again. I am juicing the last of the wine reserved blackberries today. At weigh in I have another 24 pounds to do. I have washed 12 1 quart mason jars. If I finish with another 12 then I will have 18 quarts of blackberry juice in the magic pantry closet. Time to break out the steamer.

Final yield is 10 quarts, 1 pint and 1 cup.

Or 2.5 gallons with 20 more ounces extra

Or if my math is working tonight 340 ounces

Total #'s Blackberries 55#'s

Total Juice from steaming 24 quarts / aka 6 gallons

Two 6 gallon batches running of blackberry

Not too bad.

gaudet said:
Total #'s Blackberries 55#'s

Total Juice from steaming 24 quarts / aka 6 gallons

Two 6 gallon batches running of blackberry

Not too bad.

Where does one get 55#'s blackberries? They should be getting ripe here in a couple of weeks, but I won't get nearly that many.

We have a park near the house that has a bunch of wild vines growing. We are fortunate enough that it only cost us blood and sweat to get them. I need to go back and check on the Elderberries growing out there to see where they stand. They were flowering a month and a half a go. There should be plenty of berries for the picking in the upcoming months.

Eland I'm not sure where you are, but you would just have to check to see if there are any free sources or you could go to http://www.pickyourown.org to find a local farmer that allows you to pick their fruits.

Starting Blueberry steaming. Plan to can 4 quarts for future f-packs

Initial batch 11 pounds blueberries
Second batch 11 pounds right about the same as the first batch
Third Batch 13 pounds
35 pounds of berries

Total juice was 3.5 gallons for 35 pounds of fruit. .1 gallons per pound

Pulp is now in a strainer bag in a separate pot. I am taking a break and watching some TV now.

I'm thinking 2 quarts for a f-pac = 6gal?

Goodfella said:
How much sugar would you add for an f-pack?

Simple syrup is 2 parts sugar to 1 part water. Then add to YOUR taste

Would you use the blackberry juice in place of the water? or would you still add some water?

Use the juice as the water for your f-pack. Adding sugar will bring back a lot of the flavor of the fruit. Then you reduce it over the stove to concentrate the flavor and color. You then add it to your wine to taste. Right Tepe??

gaudet said:
Use the juice as the water for your f-pack. Adding sugar will bring back a lot of the flavor of the fruit. Then you reduce it over the stove to concentrate the flavor and color. You then add it to your wine to taste. Right Tepe??
Yes but I would add the simple syrup after you add the f-pac.
I think i would just add a quart or 2of steamed juice and not reduce? I guess try it reduced and without reducing.

Latest posts

Back