Steam Juicer / Pectic Enzyme

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chopper

Reaction score
My understanding is that the role of pectic enzyme is to break down the cell walls of fruit in order to extract more flavor. So to a new winemaker like myself, it seems that steam juicing the fruit negates the need for pectic enzyme. Is this true? Or does pectic enzyme serve another purpose as well, like helping the wine to clear?
Thanks in advance.

Pectic enzyme does help break down the cell wall structure allowing for greater juice yield. Pectins are also in the juice that is realeased and the enzymes help break it down in the juice. Because of this wines clear easier and are cloudy less often when used regardless of juice extraction methods. Even if steam extraction is used, the enzymes can make futire work easier.

I use steam extracted juice and I stil use the pectic enxyme. Better safe than sorry!

usually steam extraction will also release far more pectins than normal. The heat does it, and that's why you boil/simmer jams, jellies, and marmalades to extract those pectins to gell everything up. I think you need it even more with steam extracted juice.

My experience is that no more and no less pectins are released during steam-juicing. Use the amount of pectinase you would normally use and all will be fine.

Latest posts

Back