STEAM JUICE EXTRACTION

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Freezers are getting full this time of the year, so juiced out 20# of frozen Chokecherries.....

20060825_150106_1_cherries.jpg

Put them in the top basket of the steamer...

20060825_150213_1_frozen_fruit.jpg

Some look red in the photo, must have been the light....?

Within minutes...the juice comes forth....

20060825_150334_2_comes_forth.jpg

Left with the seedy pulp....

20060825_150433_3_pulp.jpg

And much lovely juice....

20060825_150516_4_juice.jpg

10 quarts of juice in the jars for later wine making....

20060825_150647_5_jars.jpg

Will let the pulp drip overnight for a few more ounces of 'goodness' to add to the next batch...

Opened a bottle of ChokeCherry wine the other night, it had been in the bottle for well over a year...it was wonderful...full bodied, like a Merlot or Cab...We'll call it 'Poor Man's Merlot'....
smiley1.gif

Wish someone else would use a steam juicer then we could get another opinion on if it changes the taste of the fruit.....BUT....would canned wine concentrates have been heated when put in the can????Edited by: Northern Winos

Looks pretty impressive. Wonder how it would perform with Muscadines?

Probably would work....I make breakfast juice out of our purple grapes, they are kind of like Concord and crossed with wild grapes, flavor is pretty strong, so have to add a bit of water and sugar to make a delightful breakfast juice...just like Welch's.
Love the look of those Mucadines in your photos, they look like they would just burst in your mouth....are they good for eating???
Seems most wines from grapes are fermented on the skins, so don't know how wine from grape juice will work with the steam juicer...I'll let you know in a few years if God's willing and the sun shines...
smiley1.gif

They are excellent for eating Northern Wino as well as for making jellies, preserves, pies, cakes etc. I have looked at the steamers off and on fo a while now, just unsure how that process woud effect the outcome of a wine vs standard processing.

I would think by freezing them like you do it must break down the fruit and make it pretty juicy for wine making...do what your doing, it sounds like your wines are awesome....
smiley1.gif

Feel like a squirrel gathering nuts for winter...guess it's that time of year to put up your produce.

Made a few jars of breakfast grape juice this PM...it goes really fast in the steam juicer...

Check for ripeness...

20060826_155859_Valiant.jpg

The seeds were brown, they were plump and juicy, came off the stems really easily, some seemed split, and the dog was eating them off the vine and ground....they got to be ready...very early this year...

These are tiny little Valiant grapes, one of the hardiest grapes bred..very flavorful...

20060826_160218_Valiant_picked.jpg

Clean and put them in the juicer...

20060826_160358_cleaned.jpg

Within no time you are left with very little pulp...

20060826_160528_pulp.jpg

......and sweet tasty juice, just like Welch's Concord...

20060826_160642_juice.jpg

Quick and easy breakfast juice...

I use my old blue jars for the grape juice, all other food looks so putrid in them....

Have put some of this juice in a batch of Welch's Concord wine and didn't tell the difference, so the juice may have other uses....For Valiant grapes the catalogs state that it can be used for wine, but age for 1-2 years...that's hard to do....
smiley1.gif
Edited by: Northern Winos

I believe I'd have to try at least a gallon made from them grapes Wino !!

Very nice Wino, Thanks for the fine pics. Im interested in this steamer.
<DIV SuperAdBlocker_DIV_Elements="0" SuperAdBlocker_OnMove_Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker__Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker_DIV_FirstLook="0">Bill

CRABAPPLES
Thursday the neighbors called and said the wind was taking it's toll on the Crabapples, they were falling fast. We ventured over to get a couple pails full, got pelted by flying/falling fruits...

Pretty little things...

20060903_180037_1_crabapples.jpg

Just wash, destem and weigh them out, steam juice them whole...

20060903_180203_2_weigh.jpg

They juice out very quickly...

20060903_180259_3_pulp.jpg

The juice is very pretty, but very full of pectin...

20060903_180437_4_juice.jpg

They produce much juice and dry pulp, neighbors are using the pulp for bear bait....

20060903_180601_bear_bait.jpg

I got 4 near gallons of juice from 44 pounds of fruit, it will make 2 batches of wine....someday.

For the wine recipe I put 2 bottles of Wine Expert White Grape Concentrate for 2 gallons of juice, add peptic enzyme, sugar and the usual additives, yeast and water it makes a nice blush wine....
smiley4.gif

*sigh*
My mom used to send crabapple jelly up every year in a care package. Now i'm lucky if she makes it once every 3-4 years. It makes the best jelly for toast!

This whole process really intrugues me. Just wondering, "aloud" to my fellow forum members. Wondering if you could freeze the pulp after the extraction process and use it, along with the juice in making wine at a later date.

Or possibly even make wine immediately . Extract the juice and throw that pulp into a strainer bag and let er rip.Edited by: Waldo

I have made wine right out of the juicer....works great, but I have never thrown the pulp in a straining bag....am sure you could freeze the pulp or use it in a fresh batch, might get a bit more flavor out of it....I usually use a few extra pounds of fruit to compensate for not using the pulp...

Last week I juiced up a few apples that were falling off of our trees....

20060904_052937_b.jpg

Just wash, destem and cut in half or quarters...

20060904_053046_c.jpg

They puff up like marshmellows...
These were pie apples and not very juicy due to our drought....

20060904_053143_d.jpg

Some people will run the pulp from regular apples through a mill and make apple sauce...we are not apple sauce eaters....but hear it works great.
The stem juicer is very slow to get the juice out on regular apples, but it's what I use.....got to find an apple press someday...
smiley1.gif

The wines I make with these various juices are very clear and ferment very nicely...the only wine I have made with pulp was a 'Tropical Medley'..I used pineapple and apple juice and put bananas in the straining bag....found it was messy and the wine took a while to clear, also had gas bubbles for awhile, never had bubbles like that in our juice wines....maybe it was just the banana thing.I see everyone degassing their wines...I have never done that and don't seem to have a problem...maybe it's altitude or using just juice in the wines...wonder about that...?????
smiley4.gif

Waldo said:

Waldo,
I got mine about 20 years ago from Back to Basics in Utah...when I Googled STEAM JUICER this one came up from Back to Basics..it might be the same place...they have less expensive ones out of aluminum, but this one seems a good price...I paid $79 when I got mine so many years ago....mine is missing handles, but still usable..
Looks like they have improved the handles....and it looks like you get extra baskets and other goodies....
They have the aluminum ones on sale for $49, those look more like my old one...
Here is the link...

http://mendingshed.stores.yahoo.net/ssjuicer.htmlEdited by: Northern Winos

Thanks Wino...I went ahead and purcheased the stainless one. Can't wait now to get it and try it out...

Waldo said:
Thanks Wino...I went ahead and purcheased the stainless one. Can't wait now to get it and try it out...

Hope you enjoy your steamer/juicer as much as I have...will be nice to get another opinion too.
It doesn't work for tomatoes..
smiley19.gif
and regular apples are slow...on the big apples I sprinkle a little sugar ontop of the fruit, seems it helps extract the juice a bit better...the little crabapples juice very quickly.
Once we got ours it seemed that everyone who sees it orders one..just as I had to have one when I first saw it work on a friends rhubarb and raspberries..
You have more exotic fruits than we do, so will be interesting to see what you run through yours...
smiley1.gif

Northern,

Have you done peaches? If so, how did the juice come out?

MORE VALIANT JUICE</font>

A girlfriend has one Valiant [Fedonia X Wild Montana [vitis riparia]] grape growing on an arbor...in years past we have been plagued with diseases on this variety.....this year our extreme dryness has rendered and beautiful harvest...and saving the lives of many vines that we had wanted to remove.
She got these the other night and said it is less than half of whats on the vine...she has to remove a fence and crawl inside the arbor...

About 11/1/2 pounds...

20060914_090704_Picture_001_Sma.jpg

Notice the spots on the leaves....some of my vines have it too...is it rust...??? Or just seasonal ripening...???
At this point of the year....we don't really care...

20060914_090857_Picture_005_Sma.jpg

More juice to get hauled downstairs....got to make room on the kitchen counter for the Snappy Tom tomato juice bubbling on the stove...

20060914_091022_Picture_009_Sma.jpg

I have used some of this juice in a wine I called Grape Medley...I used Welch's frozen Concord juice, some of my Valiant juice and 2 500 ml bottles of WineExpert Red Wine Grape Concentrate...it turned out pretty good, but my honey won't let it age...it just disappears....
Think I will get enough juice this year to make a 5 gallon batch of just Valiant and see how it turns out...
signed...Purple Fingers</font>
*</font> Love the Powertoys resizing tool...it's a snap.Before I would put the photos in a folder and use my Email program to resize them, pull them off the phantom Email and use them from off the deskeop...this is so slick...been wanting to use it...Thank you!!!!
smiley4.gif

Back