STEAM JUICE EXTRACTION

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MORE APPLES....these are Harlson Reds and some Harlsons....a late apples that are biannual producers....

20060925_062901_apples.jpg

They are pretty small this year due to the drought....I cut them pretty small, halves and quarters, so more could fit into the steam basket...

20060925_063047_in_cooker.jpg

I run the juicer for 2 hours or more...till the juice quits flowing...then I save the pulp for later....I try to do 2 or 3 batches a day, then put all the pulp back into the steam basket and run it for another 2 hours...I am a tight-wad and want all the juice I can get....

It kind of ties you to the kitchen, have to replenish the water pan every so often, but find other things to do around the house....

From the 4 baskets of fruit I got 6 gallons [24 quarts] of juice.... 2 days worth...I think it is worth the time....get laundry, baking and computer chores done...

20060925_063457_6_gals.jpg

After that much steaming...there really isn't that much left....skins and seeds...this is 3 steamers worth of pulp..I also let it drain overnight to get every last drop of goodness...

20060925_063657_yuck.jpg

I don't think I could get any apple sauce out of this pulp....It is pretty dry....

Hope you find this helpful...

smiley4.gif
Edited by: Northern Winos

Not familiar with that apple NW. Is it tart? Will you use your juice for wine? Jelly? Both? Have you ever tried just freezing it?Edited by: Waldo

Not much there that even resembles an apple
smiley36.gif
. The juice looks like a pink lemonaid or grapefruit. I'm sure it is delicious.

Yummy. That looks tasty. Pretty good yield. Those look like half bushel wire baskets, so that's 3 gallons per bushel. I normally get 2.5 gallons per bushel when pressing, but I'm not that patient so could probably get a little more if I tried real hard. 2 days worth -is that labor to juice it or 2 days of drink?
smiley36.gif
I think you would have another reason to stay around the house close if that's the case!

Waldo....they are a very hardy crisp apple, good for everything and keep fairly well.
I haven't froze any, except in frozen apple pies, they are good like that....they are good all ways....
smiley1.gif

2 days labor to juice it....think I'd die if I drank all that in 2 days...
smiley36.gif

At the end of the day I wonder if it was worth it...but then decide that....Yes, it is worth it.I do other things while the juicer boils away....today I couldn't stand being in the house...it was beautiful out....I got the garlic planted and managed to keep the juicer from running out of water...was a good day...got 15 quarts.
Don't know if they are half bushel baskets, they came from an egg farm....
Last batch tomorrow....then can wash my kitchen floor...
smiley5.gif

I ordered it from Back to Basics about 20 years ago.

Some members have been getting good deals on eBay....steam juicers

Do a Google Search or any search engine on the Internet for Steam Juicers.

We have a steam juicer we enjoy using but we do have a question. If we want to give some of our valient grape juice away and it may not be used right away do we process the jars in a pressure cooker? Could you keep it in bottles? Yesterday we made some of our South American Special and canned it. It is a spicy sloppy joe made of beef, pork, pepperoni, along with peppers from the garden. Always a big hit. After the juice is done we will be making salsa.

Moose, I'm no expert at this. But the book I have says you can do juice with a water bath canner. If there is meat or vegetables in it you will need to pressure can it.

Yes, you can put it in mason jars and keep it for years....Just a hot water bath...no need to pressure cook juice.

Sounds like you have a lot of produce to make up good eats.

Thanks for the reply NW. Juice for our son and some to try and make wine with. We have only 1 grape plant and it produced 30 lbs of grapes, The Valiant variety.

Hi Folks,
I know this is an old post, but wanted to tell you that I also have a steam juicer and I love it.

Two years ago, DH decided to pick all the grapes that grow in our back yard. (We didnt plant them, they were here when we bought our home, and we have no idea what variety they are.) All I can tell you is they are big and purple
smiley36.gif

I steam-juiced 8 of the five-gallon buckets that he brought me, and made seemingly endless quarts of grape juice. It's fantastic. I didnt add anything to it, but did process it in a hot water bath and put it up in the pantry. We have enjoyed this juice for the last two years! The kids love it!

Anyway....two weeks ago I had a friend visit and she is teaching me how to make wine. I mentioned the grape juice that I've had put up and she suggested that we put a batch of grape wine together. We did... and now I'm waiting anxiously to see how it is going to taste. I will let you all know as soon as I bottle it!

On another note, anyone that is considering a steam juicer should also know that it is very versatile. I've used mine for steaming all kinds of veggies for canning. I've also used it to steam whole chickens. It makes the best, all-natural chicken broth, all while steaming the meat right off the carcass. (I use the chicken for chicken-pot pies, soups, canning chicken, etc.)

I'm hoping to report that my grape juice makes a fabulous wine! Time will tell!
smiley4.gif

p.s.....Those that have a steam juicer understand the importance of not letting it boil dry..... I've learned that if I put a couple of marbles in the water while it boils, I hear a constant tapping inside the pan. If I dont hear any tapping, or notice that the tapping is starting to slow down, that is when more water needs to be added to the pan. Makes it much easier for me to be doing other things in the house while the steamer is doing it's job!

Nice tip when using the steamer...I'll have to try it the next time I juice some berries [that will be soon I hope].....And I love using the steamer for wine making....
smiley20.gif

would of never of though of steamimg a chicken,but you are perfectly right................should be excellent stock base.........
smiley20.gif

I have a friend that has that model and she loves it.

The only thing to consider is that because it's aluminum, it would not be wise to use it for anything acidic, such as tomatoes, because it can cause pitting.

Have fun! :) You'll love your steam juicer!

Ithink2020,

It will work, but I think you would be happier if you saved up and got the SS version. You don't have to worry about pitting and can steam anything. I picked mine up 2 years ago and got it for $115 shipped.

My comment is not to discourage you, cause you will still love it either way you decide to go. If $$ is the issue than by all means go with what you can afford.

ithink, That looks very similar to the Victorio brand, and the Mehu-Liisa brand juicers that are selling on Ebay.

Good find. Great price! :)

Back