STEAM JUICE EXTRACTION

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthernWinos

Reaction score
I am not able to drink alcohol [wine] right now and the wine racks are full....so will juice out the berries and preserve the juice till a later time.

24# of frozen strawberries. Berries are small this year due to a severe drought, but still tasty.

2006-07-07_175230_1___24_of_frozen_strawberries.jpg

Just put the frozen berries in the top basket, be sure to keep the bottom pot full of boiling water at all times.
As the berries melt and release their juices you can add more frozen berries on top of the pulp.

2006-07-07_175521_2_Ready_to_start.jpg

The steam rises through a cone in the middle pot, the steam releases the juice from the fruit in the top basket, the juice gathers around the cone.

2006-07-07_175643_cone.jpg

The juice comes through the spigot into a catch pot.

2006-07-07_175812_3_Steam_Juicin'.jpg

Pure strawberry juice.

2006-07-07_175905_4_Pure_Juice.jpg

Within a short time you will have lots of juice and very little pulp.

2006-07-07_180108_5_Pulp_&_Juice.jpg

Then it is time to preserve the juice into canning jars.

2006-07-07_180212_7_Canning.jpg

If you have never preserved anything in mason jars, don't be intimidated, it's not rocket science.

The 24# of strawberries gave 12 quarts [3 gallons] of pure juice....should make a nice 5-6 gallon batch of wine....I usually add some Winexpert Red Wine Grape Concentrate, it makes a delicious red wine.

2006-07-07_180521_8_12_Quarts.jpg

Now there is room in the freezer for the raspberries.

2006-07-07_180937_10_Raspberries.jpg

Hope this has been helpful....
smiley17.gif

Very impressive
smiley32.gif

I had no idea that steaming could get so much juice!

And those raspberries!...... They look fantastic compaired to mine....
smiley19.gif

I think I will have to invest in an extracter. Great job!

Pete

Nice job!
smiley32.gif
Thank you for your work! This could be the answer to our problem with freezer space for our fruits and venison! Yes, I'll can the fruit juice and freeze the venison, not the other way around.

(And for all you Poor Bambi people out there, he looks better in my freezer than on the grill of my car.)

PolishWineP said:
Nice job! 
smiley32.gif
  Thank you for your work!  This could be the answer to our problem with freezer space for our fruits and venison!  Yes, I'll can the fruit juice and freeze the venison, not the other way around. 

(And for all you Poor Bambi people out there,  he looks better in my freezer than on the grill of my car. )
Yes, the freezers do get full with various stuff...so have to keep the fruit juice in jars...last year we only got one deer, so kind of rationing it now.
One of my freezers still has 19 apple pies from last year, guess we got burned out on them....sure is no shortage of food around here, guess that is nothing to complain about....we are very fourtunate....guess that's the perks of growing gardens..
smiley1.gif

This is what was left of 24# of frozen strawberries...about 3 quarts or less of pulp.
2006-07-08_081904_pulp.jpg

The wine made from the juice clears very nicely...tho I don't have much to compare as I have only made one batch of wine with pulp in a straining bag....found that to be messy and seems that I lost a lot of volume.
I would think that some of the juice you get is steam vapor, but the flavor is very fruitful....it sure beats a straining bag for making jelly.
For years I used the steam juicer to make breakfast juice, [apple, grape, and blends of apple/raspberry, etc.] Once we started making wine it was a natural to use it for that too.
Hope others try it and it will be interesting to see how you feel about it.
smiley4.gif

Edited by: Northern Winos

NorthernWinos,

I have been wondering where you have been. I really love the pictorals of all that you do. The juice steamer is very interesting, have never seen one before. How is your garden doing and all of your flowers? Post pictures! Good to see you again!

Ramona

Where did you get the juicer?Edited by: rgecaprock

rgecaprock said:
NorthernWinos,

I have been wondering where you have been.  I really love the pictorals of all that you do.  The juice steamer is very interesting, have never seen one before. How is your garden doing and all of your flowers?  Post pictures!  Good to see you again!

Ramona

Where have I been???? The mind boggles with that question.....the hardest part of having Cancer is telling your friends and family.
March I spend two 4 day stays in the hospital, trying to find out why I was having such stomach problems...April they did exploratory surgery and found a tumor...I spent 10 days in the hospital on heavy drugs...a Diladid pump, came home the day after Easter and was hooked on Oxycodene for a few weeks...started Chemo May 1st...I was scared, weak and in disbelief...I have always been very healthy and active...this couldn't be true.

I take Chemo every 2 weeks, come home with an IV pump [ball & chain] for 2 days...every week gets better...my Chemo is a piece of cake compared to the brave people I have met in the Oncology ward.

There have been other problems arise, blood clot from the IV port by my collar bone, so I take Coumadin [Warfarin.. rat poison] to keep the blood thin, working good I guess....They load you up with Cortisone and Steroids on the Chemo day, so I don't sleep for a few days...can live with that because I am so wired and full of energy....Now I am a bit short of white blood cells and am taking an injection everyday for the next few days...suppose to make the bones ache, but haven't noticed yet.

Thank God we have a good insurance that we personally buy....No matter how young and healthy you are...have health insurance at any cost...you just never know what lies ahead.

My husband has been wonderful, they first weeks he looked after and tended my every need, cleaned the flower beds and mostly held my hand. I am now doing everything I did before, except I can't drink wine...but that is a small price.

We did get a small veggie garden planted, about a month late, have been watering parts of it because we have not had rain up here.

2006-07-08_114042_Veggie_Garden.jpg

You can see how dry the lawn is, toasty brown. The veggies are coming good, will have broccoli soon and new spuds...had been eating asparagus and spinach, but they are done now.

June I felt like I was back with the living...I mostly smelled the roses...Here are a few...
2006-07-08_114332_J.P_Connell_2.jpg

2006-07-08_114401_Morden_Blush_2.jpg

2006-07-08_114434_Morden_Sunrise_1.jpg

2006-07-08_114508_Red_Frau_Dagmar_Hartroff_2.jpg

2006-07-08_114540_Sir._Thomas_Lipton.jpg

2006-07-08_114615_Therese_Brugnet_1.jpg

I had fun taking photos of them, still have some to take photos of. They loved the dry weather, but I have since watered them due to some buds not opening. Had a 2 minute downpour one day and did get some shots with some raindrops on the blossoms.

About mid June I opened the Fine Vine Wines Site and was greeted with a Personal Message from the Polish Wine Princess, the message had been in my mailbox since mid May...was so wonderful to hear from her and see that all the family is still here, as well as new members....so good to be back.So, I am doing fine, treat the cancer thing as a rumor as I feel so good now.

As for the juicer, I bought it many years ago...I think Waldo saw one on eBay and it was a good price....they are not cheap. Try to Google Steam Juice Extractor, think it will bring some hits.

Thanks for your concern...good to be here.
smiley4.gif

I had no idea. Glad you are feeling better. I work for a doctor and I see how fast a life can change due to health problems.Your gardens and flowers are beautiful. I would have to spend the day outside so I wouldn't miss a single bloom.

Good to have you back......................Ramona

Are the roses floribunda? antique roses? I love them so much more than the Hybrid(i think) roses. And the fragrance, I can smell them in my memory!!!

Is the last picture a peony?Edited by: rgecaprock

I had no idea you were going through all that. It's great to hear from you and that all is much better now. I think we will all say a little prayer for you and your family. Keep up the good progress. It's all those darned speed bumps of life that make us realize we are alive and human.
smiley2.gif
I've lived for 12 years now with heart disease after having a heart attack when I was barely 40 with 2 and 4 year old boys to live for!
smiley17.gif

Thanks Ramona and Appleman...
Good to be back and feeling good....I have so many people with me in their prayers that I know that is where this new found strength is coming from...I shouldn't feel this good with the stuff that passes through my body...
No matter how old or how young you are take care and cherish your health....without your health you have nothing.
smiley9.gif

Glad to see you back NW and happy to hear you are doing better after a very terrible time.

Doctors and medicines can try to cure what ails you but the will to live and concur what comes your way comes from your inner strength!

I'm so happy your feeling better! You and yours are in my prayers!

Pete

Keep your spirits up, and I'm very glad to hear you are feeling better. Your garden looks great (as always)!

We're rooting for you!

Martina

RASPBERRY JUICE[for wine]

2006-07-15_091746_1___24_pounds.jpg

24 pounds of frozen berries

2006-07-15_091842_2___Fill_basket.jpg

Fill the top basket....

2006-07-15_091924_3_30_minutes_later.jpg

This is how much juice you get in 30 minutes.[out of focus...sorry!]

2006-07-15_092414_4___30_minutes.jpg

In 30 minutes this is how much they have shrunk down.....it is a good time to refill the bottom pot with water and add more frozen berries, and do so every 30 minutes or so.

2006-07-15_093039_7_juice_in_middle.jpg

The juice drips into the middle pot.

2006-07-15_092149_5__The_Juice.jpg

This is the total juice from the 24 pounds of berries.

2006-07-15_093200_6__total_pulp.jpg

This is the total pulp left over....yuck!!!

2006-07-15_093319_8__8_pounds_pulp.jpg

8 pounds of pulp left...including the plastic bucket.

2006-07-15_093423_12_Quarts.jpg

12 quarts of juice for wine....[color looks odd in the photo]

2006-07-15_093628_RASPBERRY_APPLE.jpg

One recipe we do by mixing frozen apple juice with the raspberry juice...A delicious social wine.

2006-07-15_093802_Raspberry.jpg

Another recipe we add WineExpert Red Wine Grape Concentrate [not Concord] It makes a delicious red wine.

Hope this is helpful....
smiley17.gif

NW,

Glad to hear you are feeling better and the pics are wonderful! This method sure sucks the color out of the fruit and puts it in the juice. Should make the wines have awonderful color.

Onequestion, do you have a cooked taste to the juice with this method? I love strawberries. My Mother-in-Law cooks them down with sugaradded to put on top of fresh biscuits and that is delish, but the taste is very different from fresh; has a cooked taste.

Just curious.

pkcook said:
NW,

Glad to hear you are feeling better and the pics are wonderful!  This method sure sucks the color out of the fruit and puts it in the juice.  Should make the wines have a wonderful color.

One question, do you have a cooked taste to the juice with this method?  I love strawberries.  My Mother-in-Law cooks them down with sugar added to put on top of fresh biscuits and that is delish, but the taste is very different from fresh; has a cooked taste.

Just curious. 

Guess I don't know about the steamer changing the taste in the wines...have only made wine using this kind of juice...oh, except for a banana/pineapple/apple medley that probably needs some aging, that wine I put the pulp in the must.
I should make a batch of raspberry or strawberry wine using raw berries sometime to see if the flavor is different...some raspberry wine recipes say to take the seeds out of the juice before fermenting because of a bitter taste...so I guess everyone has their own opinion.
My grandpa had an orchard and my Mom would can strawberries in mason jars for a winter 'treat'...they were mushy and didn't taste at all like fresh berries, I never cared for that 'treat'. I think frozen strawberries taste different too, kind of mushy texture...tho good in a pinch on angel food cake with whipped cream.
I have made apple/raspberry breakfast juice using the steamer and it tastes great, very refreshing.
Wish someone else would use a steamer and get their opinion too....
smiley1.gif

Back