WineXpert Starting Winexpert (Chocolate) Port Kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcb54

Reaction score
I ordered a Port from George last week that should be getting here onWednesday (11/14). I'm not a big raspberry fan, but I do like chocolate.He told me how to make it into a Chocolate Port by adding 3 bottles of Swiss Chocolate Almond right before bottling. He is so knowledgeable!

I also ordered a couple cases of the Bellissima dark olive bottles due to the recommendations on the forum.

This will be my first port... is there anything I need to know that will not be covered in the directions? Has anyone else ever made one of these and added the Swiss Chocolate?Any advice? Another thing- what is chapatilizing? I have never heard this term before?

Thanks for all your input.

The regular Winexpert Port (I only saw 2 on the Port page on the FVW website)...

Chaptalizing is the act of adding sugar after the SG has gone down to up the abv in the alc. By adding it in after it has gone down some it gives the yeast more food to turn into alc. but adding it all in the beginning is risky as it will sometimes stress the yeast or over power it and kill the yeast so we add it back later.

I would recommend making the kit exactly as the instructions say and then upping the abv with some good brandy.

So...you can add the Liquor Quick products to wine for flaoring...Good to know. Just wish there was just a plain Chocolate without the Almond...there are coffee flavors too...hummm.

You could add chocolate vodka to add chocolate flavor and up the abv at the same time.

Just want some chocolate flavor in a red wine...extra alcohol is not needed.

Will look at the liqueurs next time I'm in a Liquor store.

Those look real interesting...it would be nice if they had no sugar and just flavor.....ummmm...chocolate.

Latest posts

Back