WineXpert Starting my first kit this weekend

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cove Cottage

Reaction score
Now that Hurricane Dennis is out of here, I'm ready to start my first wine kit. (Red Zinfandel). I have 3 questions before I start.The first of many, I'm sure!

1.I did not buy any special detergent, however, I found a laundry detergent with no scents,dyes, or phosphates. Will this detergent be OK?

2. My kit did not include a wine thermomater. Any suggestions on where to find a suitable thermometer?

3. My primary fermenter has a hole and gasket in the top. Do I leave this as is, or do I cover it during primary fermentation?

Many Thanks, Margaret

1.I did not buy any special detergent, however, I found a laundry detergent with no scents,dyes, or phosphates. Will this detergent be OK? No! You must use a sanitizer that is designed for wine making equipment. There are many choices and I like a product called C-Brite which is chlorine based and does not need to be rinsed afterwards.

[url]http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdListSub.asp?GC_Category=Sup plies&SubCategory=Cleaning[/url]

2. My kit did not include a wine thermometer. Any suggestions on where to find a suitable thermometer? You can purchase a simple dial type like the one picture below at any store. Stick on types are available for the outside of the fermenter or carboy but I have never used one. I only take a temp reading when I make up the kit before pitching yeast.

TaylorBiTherm.gif

3. My primary fermenter has a hole and gasket in the top. Do I leave this as is, or do I cover it during primary fermentation? The hole is designed for a airlock and it is up to you if you want to use one or not. Many people just place the cover on loosely during the primary fermentation...you just want to keep foreign objects, insects from getting into your must while it is fermenting.

I also suggest you read through the on line tutorial listed below to help provide you with plenty of info on the whole process.

http://www.finevinewines.com/Home-Wine-Making-Tutorial.htm

Masta,

Thanks for the information!

Sorry I didn't make myself clear re: the detergent .... I did receive the sanitizer but in the instructions it calls for cleaning the bottles with "unscented winemaking detergent" prior to sanitizing. Do you think the no scent, no dye, no phosphate detergent I found will sufice for the cleaning prior to sanitizing?

Since we have 2 cats, think I'll use the airlock...
smiley36.gif

Thanks again for your reply. Margaret

Your normal dish washing soap is just fine for washing any equipment, bottles before sanitizing just rinse well with water after using the soap. The rule of thumb is to get everything visually clean and rinsed then sanitize.

Good Luck and keep us posted on your progress!

2. Wine Thermometer... all I do is buy the cheap thermo strips from George for a couple dollars (literally $1 or $2) and stick them on the side of each carboy I own (they have an adhesive side to them), this has worked well, and its one less tool to have to sanitize... did i mention cheap, too!!!

The thermometer is not really all that necessary when making using a 6-gallon carboy or smaller. The yeast in that size container will not create enough heat to "cook" them. If you can make your wine in a temperature controller environment, 65-80 degrees, you will be fine.

In addition, if you think your temperatures will fall outside of that range, then you have to decide what you need to do to keep your wine in the recommended range. This can be a lot of work. The easiest solution is to make the wine in your home or basement.

Latest posts

Back