Starting my first batch for "08

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swillologist

Reaction score
I bottled the cherry wine Thursday and labeled it this evening. I didn't do anything fancy on the label. I just need to know what it is down the road.

100_1525.jpg

WhenI was getting more rhubarb out, I found the high bush cranberries. I got then in the primary waiting on some yeast right now. I will pitch it tomorrow evening.

100_1526.jpg

The rhubarb wasn't thawed out yet so it will be Monday before I can get it going.

100_1530.jpg

Edited by: swillologist

How was that Sour Cherry swill?
Do you not crush/process the Cranberries prior to fermentation?

I don't know about Swill's but the sour cherry I made a year and a half ago is excellent! I will surely make more!

Waldo,the cherry had some bottle shock. With time I think it will be pretty good. I may have goofed there waldo. I don't know if you have ever been around high bush cranberries. The smell like wet socks. I didn't want to get ran out of the house by the wife. I was hoping that when I strained them off I could squeeze then out good. But I haven't pitched the yeast yet and if you think I should crust them I can still do it.

I would at least break the membrane to let the pectic enzyme get in there and do its thing.

No the yeast has taken over now. It smells a lot better right now. I don't know how to check the acid. I hope it's not to high.

Nice job SWILL !!
What cherries did you use? We use Montmorency and the resultsare excellent. One batch was left straight and the other we sweetened up a bit !

The rhubarb was a strangeone for us. smelled "off"up tobottling and after about 6-7 months in the bottle its very nice!
Mrs Chevy wants to try a rhubarb/stawberry this summer!

let us know the progress....
smiley20.gif

swillologist said:
No the yeast has taken over now. It smells a lot better right now. I don't know how to check the acid. I hope it's not to high.
Can you get some test strips? George has acid test kits...

The Cherries we used store bought frozensour cherries. It didn't say what verity they were.

The highbush cranberry really looks strange right now. I racked it to glass last Thursday. There is something in there floating around. I have no idea what it is.

100_1554.jpg

I hope it settles out.

You can say that again NW. This stuff is weirdall the way through. From the starting smell to the thing floating around in it. I hope you have a good crop of them this year so you can give this a try. I'm wondering what they would smell like if you steamed them. Edited by: swillologist

Dang swill, that stuff looks nasty. It would make me wonder waht was in the stuff to create something like that. Elderberries have their green goo. Apparently highbush cranberries have their pink snot!

LOL Yep! This is interesting. I hope someone else get to try them. To make sure I didn't mess something up.

Latest posts

Back