Starting Chemistry for Plum Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbeck

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm making my first batch of wine using plums that I grew. Yesterday I mixed up the recipe for a dry plum wine and added everything (per the recipe) except the yeast. I added the proper amount of campden tablets too. I waited 24 hours.

Tonight before adding the yeast tested everything.

Hydrometer read 1.060
TA - 11
PH - 2.79
I wasn't sure I did the free SO2 correctly but I believe it was 18

I've now hydrated and added the yeast. I had thought a bubbler airlock would be used for primary fermentation but the recipe said install the lid loosely and implied no air lock.

Have I done anything wrong so far? Also, the frustrating part about the recipe is that it says nothing about the TA, PH, starting sugar level, etc.

I would really appreciate hearing your comments on what I need to do to get things started correctly here.

Thank you!

Dave

i'm not sure on the Ph part, but your TA seems very high. are you sure that it's correct? are you measuring it in g/l?
would you be able to post the recipe that you used so we can see what all has been done?
your S.G. could probably use some bumping up, unless you want a low percent alcohol wine, i normally shoot for around 12% at 1.08-1.09.

Hi Dorfie,

You're due west of us.

The recipe we used is Recipe Number one on this page We prefer a dryer wine over a sweet wine.

The TA was high. Our test kit involved putting a measured amount of juice from the must into a vial, shaking, and waiting a minute or so and then comparing the color against a chart. I'd have to go look to check the unit of measurement. I can retest it tomorrow, too, just to make sure I didn't mess something up.

Last edited:
Hi Dorfie,

You're due west of us.

The recipe we used is Recipe Number one on this page We prefer a dryer wine over a sweet wine.

The TA was high. Our test kit involved putting a measured amount of juice from the must into a vial, shaking, and waiting a minute or so and then comparing the color against a chart. I'd have to go look to check the unit of measurement. I can retest it tomorrow, too, just to make sure I didn't mess something up.

Really? where are you?
I am thinking that there must be some error in the test kit, or that the results are in some other unit. 1-1/2 tsp of acid blend would only increase the TA by .225 so i don't see how even an acid fruit could get up there after being diluted with water.
Did you add any extra plums to the wine? And i would add some more sugar to get your S.G. up to around 12%. this helps it store better. (more alcohol, less nasties can live)

Back